Derivative of a function of a lorentz scalar

In summary, the book claims that if you have a function of the momentum squared, f(p2), that: -the numerical factor would be 1/8 if your function is the identity f(p^2)=p^2 , but this does not hold for all functions-the first term on the RHS is quadratically divergent, and the second term is logarithmically divergent rather than linear divergent.
RedX
This is probably a dumb question, but I have a book that claims that if you have a function of the momentum squared, f(p2), that:

[tex]\frac{d}{dp^2}f=\frac{1}{2d}\frac{\partial }{\partial p_\mu}
\frac{\partial }{\partial p^\mu}f[/tex]

where the d in the denominator is the number of spacetime dimensions, so for 4-space the numerical factor would be 1/8.

But this seems to only be true if your function is the identity [itex]f(p^2)=p^2 [/itex], and doesn't hold for all functions f(p^2).

So is the book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a bit of a strange formula, since it sets a first derivative equal to a second derivative. I suppose it's technically a differential equation, in which case it would not be surprising to find it has only a few linearly-independent solutions.

Using the chain rule, one can write

[tex]\frac{d}{d(p^2)} = \Big( \frac{\partial (p^2)}{\partial p^\mu} \Big)^{-1} \frac{\partial}{\partial p^\mu} = \Big( \frac{\partial (p^\nu p_\nu)}{\partial p^\mu} \Big)^{-1} \frac{\partial}{\partial p^\mu} = \frac{1}{2 p_\mu} \frac{\partial}{\partial p^\mu}[/tex]

which does not agree with the formula you gave.

Normally I would just dismiss the formula, but I found it in two different sources (both particle physics sources though). One book talked about the vacuum bubble expansion of the integral:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{[k^2-m^2][(k-p)^2-m^2]}=\int \frac{1}{[k^2-m^2]^2}
-\int \frac{p^2}{[k^2-m^2]^3}
+\frac{4}{d}\int \frac{k^2p^2}{[k^2-m^2]^4}+O[(p^2)^2] [/tex]

where the integrals are over k, and p is an external momentum. I can only get the RHS assuming that the formula for the derivative works, where I just Taylor expand the LHS about p^2=0 (I just set p=0 after taking derivatives of the LHS, since p=0 satisfies p^2=0).

The other book was a well regarded book long ago, Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics by Cheng and Li, where they write the self-energy of a scalar in phi^4 theory as:

[tex]\Sigma(p^2)=\Sigma(\mu^2)+\Sigma'(\mu^2)(p^2-\mu^2)+\tilde{\Sigma}(p^2) [/tex]

Cheng and Li claim that the first term on the RHS is quadratically divergent, and that the second term is logarithmically divergent rather than linear divergent, because

[itex]\Sigma'(\mu^2)[/itex] can be written in the form [itex]\frac{1}{8}
\frac{\partial}{\partial p_\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial p^\nu}\Sigma(p^2)|_{p^2=\mu^2}[/itex], and each differentiation with respect to external momentum [itex]p_\mu[/itex] reduces the degree of divergence of the integral by one (so one derivative takes it from quadratic divergence to linear divergence, and the other from linear to logarithmic).

The

[tex]\left. \phantom{\frac12} \right|_{p^2 = \mu^2}[/tex]

part might be important. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Related to Derivative of a function of a lorentz scalar

1. What is a derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar?

A derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar is a measure of how the function changes with respect to the Lorentz scalar. In other words, it is the rate of change of the function as the Lorentz scalar varies.

2. How is the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar calculated?

The derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar can be calculated using the chain rule, which is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function. The chain rule involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What is the significance of the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar in physics?

In physics, the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar is important because it is used to calculate the rate of change of physical quantities such as position, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in the study of special relativity to describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. Can the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing as the Lorentz scalar increases. In physics, this could represent a decrease in speed or acceleration of an object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar?

One limitation of using the derivative of a function of a Lorentz scalar is that it assumes the function is continuous and differentiable. This means that the function must have a defined derivative at every point, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the derivative may not accurately represent the behavior of the function at very high or very low values of the Lorentz scalar.