Derivative of a fraction inside a radical

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the function f(z) = sq. rt of z-1 / z+1 using the derivative of a quotient. The question is whether to simplify the square root terms as exponents or not. The teacher advises against doing so and suggests using the quotient theorem, chain rule, and power rule in that order or treating the function as a product and using the product rule.
ehh
f(z) = sq. rt of z-1 / z+1 --- both numerator and denominator are inside the radical.

I can write it as (z-1)^1/2 over (z+1)^1/2, right? If I simplify it using derivative of a quotient. Should I simplify (z-1)^1/2 and (z+1)^1/2 as whole numbers and multiply them to other terms, including adding the exponents? The teach said I couldn't because the one-halves are actually square roots so I can't count them as exponents. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
√x = x^1/2; when taking derivatives of radicals you should always convert them to exponents.

You can differentiate [tex]\sqrt[2]{\frac{z- 1}{z+ 1}[/tex] by treating it as [tex]\frac{(z- 1)^{1/2}}{(z+ 1)^{1/2}}[/tex] using the quotient theorem, the chain rule, and the power rule, in that order. Or think of it as [tex]\left(\frac{z-1}{z+1}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] using the same rule in a different order. Or think of it as [tex](z- 1)^{1/2}(z+ 1)^{1/2}[/tex] and use the product rule rather than the quotient rule.

Related to Derivative of a fraction inside a radical

What is the derivative of a fraction inside a radical?

The derivative of a fraction inside a radical is calculated using the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator squared multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator squared multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the denominator squared.

How do you simplify the derivative of a fraction inside a radical?

To simplify the derivative of a fraction inside a radical, you can first use the quotient rule to expand the expression. Then, you can combine like terms and factor out any common factors to simplify the expression.

What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a fraction inside a radical?

The purpose of finding the derivative of a fraction inside a radical is to determine the rate of change of a function that involves a fraction inside a radical. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values at different points.

Is the derivative of a fraction inside a radical always defined?

No, the derivative of a fraction inside a radical is not always defined. It depends on the function and the values of the variables involved. In cases where the denominator of the fraction is equal to zero, the derivative is undefined.

Can the derivative of a fraction inside a radical be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a fraction inside a radical can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that particular point. The sign of the derivative is dependent on the values of the variables and the behavior of the function.