Derivative and Limit of an Exponential Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative and limit as x approaches infinity for the complicated function f(x) = (e^x + x)^(1/x). It is suggested to use LN to find the derivative and to use logs for the limit. The conversation also mentions using implicit differentiation and L'Hôpital's Rule. The final answer for the limit is 1, and implicit differentiation involves using the chain rule.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a complicated function:

\[f(x)=\left ( e^{x}+x \right )^{^{\frac{1}{x}}}\]

I need to find it's derivative and it's limit when x goes to infinity.

As for the derivative, I thought maybe to use LN, so that I can get rid of the exponent, am I correct?

How should I approach the limit ?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I would agree that to find the derivative, we can write:

\(\displaystyle y=\left(e^x+x\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}\)

Then take the natural log of both sides:

\(\displaystyle \ln(y)=\frac{1}{x}\ln\left(e^x+x\right)\)

Now implicitly differentiate.

For the limit, logs can come to our aid as well...begin by writing:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\left(e^x+x\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}\right)\)

Upon taking the natural log of both sides, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{\ln\left(e^x+x\right)}{x}\right)\)

This is the indeterminate form \(\displaystyle \frac{\infty}{\infty}\) and so we may apply L'Hôpital's Rule.

Can you proceed?

Is the final answer of the limit e ? I have proceeded and got that the right hand side is 1.

What do you mean to derive implicitly?

Yankel said:
Is the final answer of the limit e ? I have proceeded and got that the right hand side is 1.

Yes, I got the same result. :D

Yankel said:
What do you mean to derive implicitly?

Implicit differentiation is nothing more than a special case of the well-known chain rule for derivatives. The majority of differentiation problems in first-year calculus involve functions $y$ written EXPLICITLY as functions of $x$. However, some functions $y$ are written IMPLICITLY as functions of $x$, as is the case once we took the natural logs of both sides. So, we differentiate, bearing in mind that the chain rule must be used with $y$ since it is a function of $x$. :D

Related to Derivative and Limit of an Exponential Function

1. What is a derivative of an exponential function?

A derivative of an exponential function is the rate of change of the function at any given point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function can be found by using the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). For example, the derivative of 3^x is ln(3)*3^x.

3. What is the limit of an exponential function?

The limit of an exponential function is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. For example, the limit of e^x as x approaches infinity is infinity.

4. How do you find the limit of an exponential function?

The limit of an exponential function can be found by evaluating the function at the given input value, or by using algebraic techniques such as factoring and canceling out common terms.

5. What is the relationship between the derivative and limit of an exponential function?

The derivative and limit of an exponential function are closely related, as the derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the limit represents the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, the derivative gives us information about how the function is changing at a specific point, while the limit tells us where the function is heading in the long run.