Derivation of the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the conversation is about finding the bridging steps to go from the equation \nabla_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0 to (\rho + p)\frac{d\alpha}{dr} = -\frac{dp}{dr} in Section 5.8 of Sean Carroll's book on GR. The person is having trouble deriving the equation through the condition that the energy-momentum tensor is covariantly conserved and is getting terms involving sin^2 \theta that do not make sense for a spherically symmetric solution. They have tried using the Bianchi identity but it did not help. They are asking for help or suggestions on what they may be missing.
maverick280857
Hi,

I am working through Section 5.8 of Sean Carroll's book on GR. Does someone know where I can find the bridging steps that take me from

[tex]\nabla_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]

to

[tex](\rho + p)\frac{d\alpha}{dr} = -\frac{dp}{dr}[/tex]

This is equation 5.153, and when I try to derive it through the condition that the energy-momentum tensor is covariantly conserved, I get terms involving [itex]sin^2 \theta[/itex] which make no sense because the solution is spherically symmetric.

I couldn't find the bridging steps that lead to equation 5.153 anywhere, and I tried using the Bianchi identity to get something but that doesn't help for some reason. Is there some clever mathematical manipulation that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
when I try to derive it through the condition that the energy-momentum tensor is covariantly conserved, I get terms involving [itex]sin^2 \theta[/itex]

Can you post more details about the derivation you've tried? That will make it a lot easier to give feedback about what you may be missing.

Related to Derivation of the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation

1. What is the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation and what is its significance?

The Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation is a set of equations used in general relativity to describe the structure of a spherical, static, and self-gravitating object. It is significant because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding the properties of compact objects, such as neutron stars and black holes.

2. Who were Tolman, Oppenheimer, and Volkoff and what were their contributions to the TOV equation?

Richard Tolman, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and George Volkoff were three physicists who collaborated in the 1930s to develop the TOV equation. Tolman and Oppenheimer were responsible for the initial formulation of the equations, while Volkoff contributed by calculating the maximum mass limit for neutron stars in the equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the TOV equation?

The derivation of the TOV equation assumes that the object is spherically symmetric, static (not changing with time), and composed of a perfect fluid. It also assumes that the object's density and pressure vary only with distance from the center, and that the object is in hydrostatic equilibrium (the inward force of gravity is balanced by the outward pressure).

4. How is the TOV equation used to study neutron stars and black holes?

The TOV equation can be solved numerically to determine the internal structure and properties of compact objects, such as neutron stars and black holes. It can provide information about the maximum mass and radius of these objects, as well as their density and pressure profiles.

5. Are there any limitations to the TOV equation?

Yes, the TOV equation is limited in its applicability to only spherical, static, and self-gravitating objects. It also does not take into account the effects of rotation, magnetic fields, or other complexities that can arise in real-world astrophysical objects. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other theoretical and observational methods to fully understand the properties of compact objects.