Derivation of the radial equation

In summary, the radial equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a spherically symmetric potential. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation using the spherical coordinate system and helps us understand the behavior and calculate properties of particles in such systems. However, it is limited to non-relativistic systems and does not account for particle interactions or relativistic effects.
davidge
When considering bound states of potential energy that tends to zero at large ##r##, my book arrives in
$$\frac{d^2}{dr^2} u_{E} = \kappa^2 u \ \ \ \ \kappa^2 \equiv -2mE/ \hbar^2 > 0 \ \ \ \ r \rightarrow \infty$$ from the differential equation satisfied by ##u_{E} \equiv R_{El} (r) / r##, where ##R_{El}(r)## is the radial part of the wave function.
The solution of the above eq. for ##u_{E}## is ##u_{E}(r) \propto e^{- \kappa r}##. Let ##\rho \equiv \kappa r##. The book defines ##u_{El} (\rho)## as
$$u_{El} (\rho) = \rho^{l+1}e^{-\rho} w(\rho)$$ so that the function ##w(\rho)## satisfies the equation $$\frac{d^2}{d\rho^2}w + 2 \bigg(\frac{l+1}{\rho} - 1 \bigg) \frac{dw}{d \rho} + \bigg[ \frac{V}{E} - \frac{2(l+1)}{\rho} \bigg]w = 0$$ and so, one solves this equation for ##w(\rho)## in order to find the radial solutions.

My question is, Is it better defining ##u_{El} (\rho)## in an other way, so that we end up with Legendre's equation instead of the above equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
When considering bound states of potential energy that tends to zero at large ##r##, my book arrives in
$$\frac{d^2}{dr^2} u_{E} = \kappa^2 u \ \ \ \ \kappa^2 \equiv -2mE/ \hbar^2 > 0 \ \ \ \ r \rightarrow \infty$$ from the differential equation satisfied by ##u_{E} \equiv R_{El} (r) / r##, where ##R_{El}(r)## is the radial part of the wave function.
The solution of the above eq. for ##u_{E}## is ##u_{E}(r) \propto e^{- \kappa r}##. Let ##\rho \equiv \kappa r##. The book defines ##u_{El} (\rho)## as
$$u_{El} (\rho) = \rho^{l+1}e^{-\rho} w(\rho)$$ so that the function ##w(\rho)## satisfies the equation $$\frac{d^2}{d\rho^2}w + 2 \bigg(\frac{l+1}{\rho} - 1 \bigg) \frac{dw}{d \rho} + \bigg[ \frac{V}{E} - \frac{2(l+1)}{\rho} \bigg]w = 0$$ and so, one solves this equation for ##w(\rho)## in order to find the radial solutions.

My question is, Is it better defining ##u_{El} (\rho)## in an other way, so that we end up with Legendre's equation instead of the above equation?

But that is exactly how you end up with the LEGENDRE equation.

dextercioby said:
But that is exactly how you end up with the LEGENDRE equation.
Sorry, I don't understand

Related to Derivation of the radial equation

1. What is the radial equation?

The radial equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a spherically symmetric potential. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and describes the radial component of the wave function for a particle.

2. How is the radial equation derived?

The radial equation is derived by separating the Schrödinger equation into radial and angular components using the spherical coordinate system. The resulting radial equation is then solved using various mathematical techniques, such as series expansion or the variational method.

3. What is the significance of the radial equation?

The radial equation is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in spherically symmetric potentials, such as the electron in an atom. It also helps us to calculate important properties such as the energy levels and probability densities of these particles.

4. Can the radial equation be applied to all systems?

No, the radial equation is only applicable to systems with spherically symmetric potentials. It cannot be used for systems with anisotropic potentials, such as molecules with different bonding directions.

5. Are there any limitations to the radial equation?

Yes, the radial equation is limited to non-relativistic systems and does not take into account the effects of special relativity or quantum electrodynamics. It also does not account for the interactions between particles, such as electron-electron interactions in atoms.