Derivation of the equations of APF

In summary: I have not differentiated (1), I found it in reference book with its derivation (eq. 2) and when I try to derive it the result was not match with eq. 2 . and also with eq. 3But in post # 4 you showed your answer? How did you manage that without knowledge of ##d(q,q_{goal})##? Anyway try looking here
Maria88
I am working to use the artificial potential field method for path planning of mobile robot; actually I found in one of references the following description about this method:

the artificial potential field method uses a scalar function called the potential function. This function has two values, a minimum value, when the mobile robot is at the goal point and a high value on obstacles. The function slopes down towards the target point, so that the mobile robot can reach the target by following the negative gradient of the potential field. The potential force has two components: the first one is attractive force and second one is repulsive force. The goal position generates an attractive force which makes the mobile robot move towards it while obstacles produce a repulsive force, the combination of the attractive force to the destination and the repulsive forces away from the obstacles drive the mobile robot in a safe path to the target point

The attractive potential takes the form:

Uatt (q)=1/2 * ζ * d2 (q,qgoal) … (1)

Where ζ is proportional coefficient , d(q,qgoal) is the Euclidean distance between the mobile robot q and the position of the goal point qgoal. The attractive force on robot is determined as the negative gradient of attractive potential field and takes the following form

Fatt (q)=-∇Uatt (q) =- ζ (q - qgoal) …(2)

Fatt(q) is a vector directed toward qgoal with magnitude linearly related to the distance from q to qgoal.

The repulsive function is defined as :

Urep (q) = 1/2 * ƞ * [1/d(q,qobs) - 1/d0 ]2 ... if d(q,qobs )≤ d0
... (3)

Where q is the robot position and qobs is the obstacle position. d0 is the positive constant denoting the distance of influence of the obstacle. d(q,qobs) The distance between the mobile robot and obstacle. ƞ is the proportional coefficient. The repulsive force is the negative gradient of this repulsive potential fields function.

Frep (q)=-∇Urep (q) = ƞ * [(1/d(q,qobs ) - 1/d0] * [(q-qobs)/ d3(q,qobs)] ... if d(q,qobs )≤ d0

... (4)My question is about equations 2 and 4 which they represent the negative gradient of equations 1 and 3 respectively, as you know that negative gradient of function is the derivative of the function, but when I am trying to derivative equations 1 and 3 that didn't give the same result in the equations 2 and 4 , so could anyone help me in the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why there is no any answer for my question? Is my question ambiguous and unclear ?

I really need help , Please

You could perhaps try and show us what you have done. What do you get instead of eq 2 and 4?

Strum said:
You could perhaps try and show us what you have done. What do you get instead of eq 2 and 4?

Thanks a lot for reply

Actually, according to derivation rules and from my poor knowledge in derivation of equations when I derived equation (1) the result was:

Fatt (q)=-∇Uatt (q) = - ζ * d(q,qgoal) and this result doesn't match equation (2)

when I derived equation (3) the result was :

Frep (q)=-∇Urep (q)= - [1/d(q,qobs) - 1/d0] * [ (d(q,qgoal))` / d2(q,qgoal) ]

and also this result doesn't match equation (4)

Do you know what the function ##d(q,q_{goal})## is?

Strum said:
Do you know what the function ##d(q,q_{goal})## is?

d(q,qgoal) is the Euclidean distance between the mobile robot q and the position of the goal point qgoal

I think the problem is in this type of function , how to derive this type ?

How have you differentiated (1) if you do not know how ## d(q,q_{goal} ## looks like?

Strum said:
How have you differentiated (1) if you do not know how ## d(q,q_{goal} ## looks like?
I have not differentiated (1), I found it in reference book with its derivation (eq. 2) and when I try to derive it the result was not match with eq. 2 . and also with eq. 3

Related to Derivation of the equations of APF

1. What is the purpose of deriving the equations of APF?

The equations of APF, or atomic packing factor, help scientists and engineers determine the efficiency of packing atoms within a crystal structure. This information is useful in understanding the mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties of materials.

2. How are the equations of APF derived?

The equations of APF are derived through mathematical analysis of the crystal structure, specifically the arrangement and size of atoms. This involves calculating the total volume of atoms present and comparing it to the volume of the unit cell of the crystal.

3. What factors affect the APF of a material?

The APF of a material is affected by the size and shape of the atoms, as well as the crystal structure and arrangement of atoms within the unit cell. Crystals with close-packed structures tend to have higher APF values.

4. How is APF related to other properties of materials?

The APF of a material is closely related to its density, as it measures the amount of space occupied by atoms within a given volume. It is also related to the strength and stability of a material, as a higher APF indicates a more efficient packing of atoms and therefore a more dense and strong structure.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding APF?

Understanding the APF of a material can help in the design and selection of materials for various applications. For example, materials with high APF values are often used in structural components that require strength and stability, while materials with lower APF values may be better suited for electrical or thermal insulation purposes.