Derivation of T1 term in Bloch equations

In summary, the contribution of semiclassical scattering to the Bloch equations for a two-level system is often justified heuristically using Fermi's Golden Rule to calculate scattering rates. However, it is unclear if this can be rigorously derived without coupling the system to a thermal bath or considering scattering as a measurement process. The decay of off-diagonal terms in the Bloch equations, which is related to decoherence, is normally attributed to coupling with a bath or environment. It is not possible to derive a value for T1 without considering an external parameter, such as the temperature of a bath.
kcant6453
I always see the contribution of semiclassical scattering to the Bloch equations for a two-level system justified heuristically, using Fermi's Golden Rule to calculate the scattering rates. The resulting time evolution of the density matrix is clearly in the Lindblad form, but is it possible to derive this rigorously without coupling the system to some sort of thermal bath? For example, by considering the scattering process to be some sort of measurement?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand the question. However, T1 (as well as T2 and T2*) are usually assumed to be properties of the system (T1+bath) in the absence of a measurement. Physically the decoherence is -in the simplest case- indeed caused by coupling to a macroscopic thermal bath (or at least something that an be described by a thermal bath).
Hence, I am not even sure what T1 in the absence of a bath would even mean(?). I don't know much about scattering processes (not important in my field), but scattering as such should not result in decoherence(?).

Well, in the Bloch equations T1 is assumed to cause decay of the off-diagonal terms. Isn't that decoherence?

kcant6453 said:
Well, in the Bloch equations T1 is assumed to cause decay of the off-diagonal terms. Isn't that decoherence?

Yes, indeed (those terms are sometimes called "the coherences"). The decay of those terms is normally due to a bath (or an "environment") of some sort.

Right, but why do you need a bath to get that result? You can derive scattering rates from Fermi's Golden Rule without reference to a bath. For example, could you get the same result by considering a semiclassical perturbation with a random phase?

Well, you need something "other", an environment that you system can couple to meaning whatever formalism you are using it needs to be applicable to open systems.
I have come across Golden Rule calculations for open systems which presumably(?) could be used, is that what you are referring to?

Note that if you are asking if it is possible to somehow derive a value for T1 without referring to a some "external" parameter (e.g. the temperature of an external bath) I do believe the answer is no.

Related to Derivation of T1 term in Bloch equations

1. What is the Bloch equation and how is it used?

The Bloch equation is a set of equations that describe the behavior of nuclear magnetic moments in a magnetic field. It is used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) to study the properties of molecules and materials.

2. What is the T1 term in the Bloch equations?

The T1 term in the Bloch equations represents the longitudinal relaxation time, which is the time it takes for the nuclear magnetic moments to return to their equilibrium state after being excited by a radiofrequency pulse.

3. How is the T1 term derived in the Bloch equations?

The T1 term is derived by considering the effect of interactions between the nuclear magnetic moments and their surrounding environment, such as collisions with other molecules or spin-lattice interactions.

4. What factors affect the T1 relaxation time?

The T1 relaxation time can be affected by factors such as temperature, magnetic field strength, and the chemical environment of the molecules being studied.

5. How is the T1 term used in NMR experiments?

The T1 term is used in NMR experiments to measure the relaxation time of a sample, which can provide information about the molecular structure and dynamics of the sample. It is also used to optimize experimental parameters and to correct for relaxation effects in data analysis.