Derivation of rotation isometry on the complex plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the verification of a derivation of the algebraic formula for the rotation isometry. The derivation is based on the function f(z) = az + b, where a and b are constants. The reasoning behind the condition a ≠ 1 and |a| = 1 is to ensure that f is a rotation around a point w of angle θ. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use clearer notation and to provide more detailed explanations in the derivation.
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Dear all, can you please verify if my derivation of the algebraic formula for the rotation isometry is correct. The handwritten file is attached.

The derivation from the book (Alan F beardon, Algebra and Geometry) which is succinct but rather unclear is given below.

Assume that f (z) = az + b. If a = 1 then f is a translation. If a = 1,
then f (w) = w, where w = b/(1 − a), and f (z) − w = a(z − w). It is now
clear that f is a rotation about w of angle θ, where a = ## e^{iθ} ## .

danke...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to arrive at my solution beginning with ## f(z) − w = a(z − w) ## and they both matched! but the reason for ## a !=1 ## is so that a will have imaginary part therefore an angle θ to rotate about??

The reason why ## |a| =1 ## is so that z is not proportionally multiplied/scaled ??

danke..

It's hard to follow the handwritten stuff, since there are no explanations in it. So I'll just comment on what you said here. You defined f by f(z)=az+b, so it follows immediately that if a=1, then f is a translation. Your definition of w makes sense if and only if a≠1, so I first assumed that the next step is to examine that case. But a few steps later, you wrote ##a=e^{i\theta}##, which only makes sense if |a|=1. So you should have stated earlier that the case you're investigating is a≠1, |a|=1. To show that f is a rotation around w when these conditions are met, it's sufficient to show that |f(z)-w|=|z-w|. I would say that your typed statements do that, but you could have included more details. We have
$$f(z)-w=az+b-w=az+w(1-a)-w= a(z-w)+w-w =a(z-w)$$ and therefore
$$|f(z)-w|=|a||z-w|=|z-w|.$$ As you can see, the assumption that |a|=1 is essential.

By the way, you should try to avoid notations like a!=0. The ugliness can be avoided by using the LaTeX code \neq, or just the ≠ symbol that you find when you click on the ∑ symbol in the editor. The notation a!=0 is especially bad since the most obvious interpretation of it is different from what you had in mind.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw

Related to Derivation of rotation isometry on the complex plane

1. What is a rotation isometry on the complex plane?

A rotation isometry on the complex plane is a geometric transformation that preserves distances and angles. It involves rotating a figure around a fixed point on the complex plane while keeping all other points on the figure at the same distance from the center of rotation.

2. How is the rotation isometry derived on the complex plane?

The rotation isometry on the complex plane can be derived using complex numbers. A rotation of a point on the plane can be represented as a multiplication by a complex number of modulus 1. This complex number is known as the rotation factor and its argument represents the angle of rotation.

3. What are the properties of a rotation isometry on the complex plane?

A rotation isometry on the complex plane has several properties. It is an isometry, meaning it preserves distances and angles. It is also a conformal mapping, meaning it preserves angles locally. Additionally, the composition of two rotation isometries is also a rotation isometry.

4. Can a rotation isometry on the complex plane be represented by a matrix?

Yes, a rotation isometry on the complex plane can be represented by a 2x2 matrix. The matrix is of the form [cosθ, -sinθ; sinθ, cosθ], where θ is the angle of rotation. This matrix can be used to perform multiple rotations by multiplying it with other rotation matrices.

5. How is a rotation isometry on the complex plane used in real-world applications?

Rotation isometries on the complex plane have various applications in geometry, computer graphics, and physics. They are used to rotate objects in 3D space and in the study of rigid body motion. They are also used in image processing and pattern recognition to align and transform images. In physics, rotation isometries are used to describe the motion of objects in rotational symmetry.