Derivation of Relativistic Momentum

In summary: The y component of the observer's speed is not specified. In summary, the conversation discusses a request for a simple derivation of relativistic momentum and some difficulties in understanding it. The author suggests a helpful resource and clarifies that the choice of speeds in the derivation is not a conclusion but a simplifying choice. The conversation also touches on the observer's speed in the second frame of reference.
rrrright
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a simple derivation of relativistic momentum from lorentz transformation or the relativistic velocity addition formulas. I have attempted to understand this example:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special_Relativity/Dynamics#Momentum

but I have been having some difficulties understanding some of it. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: Apparently I can't read. I wrote this reply thinking that you had said "definition" when in fact you had said "derivation".

Which definition you should use depends on what method you are using to include particles and their interactions in your theory. If you do it just by writing down a force, then (four-)momentum is defined simply as mass times (four-)velocity. If you do it by writing down a Lagrangian L, the momentum corresponding to the ith position coordinate is defined by [tex]p^i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot x^i}[/tex]. If you do it by writing down a Hamiltonian, you don't define momentum, it's a primitive, just like position in the other two pictures I mentioned.

You seem to be talking about proving that momentum is conserved in particle collision, not about defining momentum. That's another story, and I'll let someone else answer that.

rrrright said:
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a simple derivation of relativistic momentum from lorentz transformation or the relativistic velocity addition formulas. I have attempted to understand this example:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special_Relativity/Dynamics#Momentum

but I have been having some difficulties understanding some of it. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

This is a very good derivation (the whole page is very good). If you need any help, LMK.

You will have to bear with me since I am just a high school student attempting to learn some of this on my own.

When they say:

[tex]u'_{yR}=-u'_{yB}[/tex]

What do they mean and how do they reach this conclusion? I am not seeing it from the diagram.

Later in the explanation it states that

[tex]u'_{xR}=v[/tex]

How do they come to this conclusion?

rrrright said:
You will have to bear with me since I am just a high school student attempting to learn some of this on my own.

When they say:

[tex]u'_{yR}=-u'_{yB}[/tex]

What do they mean and how do they reach this conclusion? I am not seeing it from the diagram.

The author (R.C. Tolman, in a 1917 paper) chose the speeds such that [tex]u'_{yR}=-u'_{yB}[/tex]. This is not a conclusion, it is a choice that facilitates the rest of the calculations.
Later in the explanation it states that

[tex]u'_{xR}=v[/tex]

How do they come to this conclusion?

This is also a choice that allows the determination of [tex]v[/tex] from the equation:

[tex]v=u'_{xR}=\frac{u_{xR}-v}{1-v*u_{xR}/c^2}[/tex]

Okay that makes sense.

Am I correct in my assumption that in the second frame of reference the observer is moving at [tex]u_{xB}[/tex] but not [tex]u_{yB}[/tex]?

rrrright said:
Okay that makes sense.

Am I correct in my assumption that in the second frame of reference the observer is moving at [tex]u_{xB}[/tex] but not [tex]u_{yB}[/tex]?

Yes, the observer is moving along the x axis, with the same speed as the x component of the blue ball speed.

Related to Derivation of Relativistic Momentum

What is the concept of relativistic momentum?

The concept of relativistic momentum is a modification of classical momentum that takes into account the effects of relativity. It is used to describe the motion of objects at speeds close to the speed of light.

What is the equation for relativistic momentum?

The equation for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum differs from classical momentum in that it takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, at high speeds. This means that the mass and momentum of an object will increase as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

What is the significance of the speed of light in the equation for relativistic momentum?

The speed of light, denoted by c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the maximum speed at which all forms of energy and information can travel. In the equation for relativistic momentum, c is used to account for the effects of relativity on an object's momentum at high speeds.

What are some real-world applications of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum has important applications in fields such as particle physics, where it is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles traveling at very high speeds. It is also used in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.