Derivation of lorentz transformation

In summary, the conversation is about the request for an easy derivation of Lorentz Transformation. The person asking the question has a book on the topic but is not able to understand it, and is seeking help from others. The other person suggests focusing on understanding how to use the LT instead of trying to derive it, and also asks for more information about the book and the individual's background in math and physics. They also provide a helpful animation for clarification.
ash64449
Hello friend,

I want to know how to derive lorentz transformation. Even though i have book that derived lorentz transform,i am not able to understand. I hope you give me an easy derivation of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
ash64449 said:
Hello friend,

I want to know how to derive lorentz transformation. Even though i have book that derived lorentz transform,i am not able to understand. I hope you give me an easy derivation of it!
Why do you want it? I have never bothered to understand how to derive the Lorentz Transformation. I trust that it is correct. If you want to understand Special Relativity, you can leave that derivation for some time in the future after you have mastered how to use the LT. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will point you to a great many links on the ways that they have learned to do the derivation and you'll study them all and still not understand the derivation. Fortunately, using the LT is very easy and that's the important thing.

ash64449 said:
You would get better help if you say which book and what you did not understand about the derivation therein. E.g., did you understand some of it? Did you understand its starting point? Or did you understand nothing at all?

Also, you should say what level of maths and physics you have already studied, so people here can understand your background.

This animation seems good:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how time and space coordinates change between two different reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It was first derived by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and later expanded upon by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity.

To derive the Lorentz transformation, we start with the basic postulates of special relativity:

1) The laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames (meaning reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity).

2) The speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames.

From these postulates, we can derive the following equations:

x' = γ(x - vt)
y' = y
z' = z
t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)

Where x, y, z, and t are the coordinates in the original reference frame, x', y', z', and t' are the coordinates in the moving reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

To understand how these equations were derived, we can consider a thought experiment where we have two observers, one in the original reference frame (let's call them A) and one in the moving reference frame (let's call them B). Observer A is at the origin of their reference frame and observer B is moving at a constant velocity v in the positive x direction.

First, let's consider the x coordinate. Observer A measures the position of a point in space at time t as x. However, observer B measures the same point at the same time t as x'. We can use the formula for velocity (v = Δx/Δt) to relate these two measurements:

v = (x' - x)/Δt

Rearranging this equation, we get:

x' = x + vt

Next, let's consider the t coordinate. Observer A measures the time at the point in space as t. However, observer B measures the same time t as t'. We can use the formula for velocity again to relate these two measurements:

v = (x' - x)/Δt

But since we are dealing with the speed of light, we can replace v with c:

c = (x' - x)/Δt

Rearranging this equation and using the formula for velocity again, we

Related to Derivation of lorentz transformation

1. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It was first derived by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and later refined by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation important?

The Lorentz transformation is important because it is a fundamental part of special relativity, which is a cornerstone of modern physics. It allows us to understand how measurements of space and time change for observers in different reference frames, and has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.

3. How is the Lorentz transformation derived?

The Lorentz transformation is derived using mathematical principles such as the Pythagorean theorem, the principle of relativity, and the constancy of the speed of light. It involves manipulating the equations of motion for objects in different reference frames to find a set of equations that are consistent with the principles of special relativity.

4. Can the Lorentz transformation be visualized?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be visualized using diagrams and graphs. One common visualization is the "light clock" thought experiment, which shows how the perception of time can differ for observers in different reference frames. There are also many computer simulations and animations available that demonstrate the effects of the Lorentz transformation.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Lorentz transformation?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the Lorentz transformation. It is used in fields such as particle physics to calculate the effects of relativistic speeds on subatomic particles. It is also used in GPS technology to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite clocks. Additionally, the principles of special relativity and the Lorentz transformation have implications for the design of spacecraft and other high-speed vehicles.