Derivation of ln Z for Bose-Einstein case

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equation 8.45, which represents the contribution of Fitzpatrick to ln(Z). It is claimed that this equation is derived from equations 8.20, 8.30, and 8.43, which involve the average number of particles, the partial derivative with respect to energy, and the average number of particles again, respectively. The individual attempts at solving the equation resulted in a -α term, but after considering the contribution from all portions of the partial, the final solution was obtained.
VnHorn
1. Problem From Fitzpatrick we need to derive[itex]ln(Z)=αN-\sum ln(1-e^{-\alpha-\betaε_{r}})[/itex] (Equation 8.45)

Homework Equations

This is claimed to be derived from Equations 8.20, 8.30, and 8.43

Eq 8.20
[itex]\overline{n}_{s}=-\frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial ln(Z)}{\partial\epsilon_{s}}[/itex]

Eq 8.30
[itex]\alpha\cong\frac{\partial ln(Z)}{\partial N}[/itex]

Eq 8.43
[itex]\overline{n}_{s}=\frac{1}{e^{\alpha+\betaε_{r}}-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial attempt involved setting the RHS of 8.20 to the RHS of 8.43 and then integrating to solve for ln(Z)
but this ultimately gave me

[itex]ln(Z)=-\alpha-ln(1-e^{-\alpha-\betaε_{r}})[/itex]

I'm not so concerned with the lack of N and the missing summation since that should come when I apply it to more particles, but as hard as I try everything I do ends up with that -[itex]\alpha[/itex]

Nevermind, solved it. Needed to consider the contribution from all the different portions of the partial and make sure it met all requirements. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the help. Here's what I ended up withln(Z)=αN-\sum \left(\alpha+ln(1-e^{-\alpha-\betaε_{r}})\right)

Related to Derivation of ln Z for Bose-Einstein case

1. What is the Bose-Einstein distribution?

The Bose-Einstein distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of a system of bosons (particles with integer spin) occupying different energy levels at a given temperature.

2. What is the significance of "ln Z" in the derivation?

"ln Z" represents the logarithm of the partition function, which is a measure of the total number of possible ways a system can be arranged. It is a crucial component in deriving the Bose-Einstein distribution function.

3. How is "ln Z" calculated in the Bose-Einstein case?

In the Bose-Einstein case, "ln Z" is calculated by summing over all possible energy states, taking into account the number of particles in each state and the energy of that state.

4. What does the Bose-Einstein distribution tell us about the behavior of bosons?

The Bose-Einstein distribution tells us that as the temperature decreases, the number of particles occupying the lowest energy state increases, leading to a phenomenon known as Bose-Einstein condensation. This is a key characteristic of bosonic systems.

5. How does the Bose-Einstein distribution differ from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Bose-Einstein distribution takes into account the fact that multiple particles can occupy the same energy state, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution assumes that each particle occupies a unique energy state. This leads to different behaviors at low temperatures, with the Bose-Einstein distribution predicting condensation while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution does not.