Derivation of Doppler Shift from Frequency to Wavelenght

In summary, the doppler shift equation can be derived by using the wavelenght-frequency relationship equation and Taylor's expansion. By substituting for frequency in the doppler frequency equation and using Taylor's expansion to the second degree, the equation for wavelenght can be obtained. By using small angle approximation, the equation can be simplified to a first order expansion, resulting in the final equation for doppler shift in terms of wavelenght.
IBY

Homework Statement

Derive the doppler shift equation from the equation in terms of frequency to one in terms of wavelenght. Clues: frequency=c/lamda, use Taylor's expansion, velocity of source is much smaller than velocity of wave.

c-velocity of wave
v-velocity of source
f-frequency
lambda-wavelenght

Homework Equations

Doppler shift in terms of frequency
[tex]f'=f(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)[/tex]
Relationship between wavelenght and frequency
[tex]\lambda=\frac{c}{f}[/tex]
Taylor's expansion
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^2 \frac{f'^n(f(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)}{n!}x^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the wavelenght-frequency relationship equation in order to substitue for f in the doppler frequency equation to get:

[tex]\frac{c}{\lambda'}=\frac{c}{\lambda}(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c}{\lambda'}=\frac{c}{\lambda}+\frac{c}{\lambda}\frac{v}{c}cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c}{\lambda'}=\frac{c}{\lambda}+\frac{v}{\lambda}cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{c}{\frac{c}{\lambda}+\frac{v}{\lambda}cos \theta}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda+\frac{\lambda c}{v cos\theta}[/tex]

I used Taylor's expansion to the second degree, and I got:

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{\lambda c}{2v}x^2+{\lambda+\frac{\lambda c}{v}[/tex]

I small angle approximate, so x^2=sin^2 (theta), use trig id to get sin^2 (theta)=1-cos^2 (theta)

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{\lambda c}{2v}-\frac{\lambda c}{2v}cos^2 \theta+\lambda+\frac{\lambda c}{v}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{3\lambda c}{2v}-\frac{\lambda c}{2v}cos^2 \theta+\lambda [/tex]

And now, I am dead in the water.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IBY said:
[tex]\lambda'=\frac{c}{\frac{c}{\lambda}+\frac{v}{\lambda}cos \theta}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda+\frac{\lambda c}{v cos\theta}[/tex]

You might want to double check this step:wink:

@gabbagabbahey
I don't see it. If one divides by fraction, aren't you supposed to multiply with the bottom part reciprocated?

[tex]\frac{A}{A+B}\neq1+\frac{A}{B}[/tex]

You can't divide up the denominator in this manner

If so, then I use Taylor's expansion on this?

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{\lambda c}{c+vcos \theta}[/tex]

I would divide both the denominator and numerator by [itex]c[/itex] first:

[tex]\lambda'=\frac{\lambda}{1+\frac{v}{c}\cos\theta}=\lambda\left(1+\frac{v}{c}\cos\theta\right)^{-1}[/tex]

The reason you want to do this is because you know [itex]v\ll c[/itex], so [itex]\frac{v}{c}\cos\theta[/itex] will be a small number and you are left trying to Taylor expand [itex](1+\text{small number})^{-1}[/itex] which you can do easily.

Okay, one last fact checking (hopefully) before I go away for good. :smile:

So there is:

[tex]\lambda(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-1}[/tex]

I derive it:

[tex]\lambda \frac{v}{c}sin \theta(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-2}x[/tex]

I do it again, use the multiplication rule:

[tex](\lambda (\frac{v}{c})^{2}sin^2 \theta(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-3}+\frac{\lambda \frac{v}{c}cos \theta(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-2}}{2})x^2[/tex]

Small number, so sin of theta is zero and cos of theta is 1, x=sin so including all of the equation above, I am left with:

[tex](\frac{\lambda \frac{v}{c}(1+\frac{v}{c})^{-2}}{2})sin^2 \theta+\lambda(1+\frac{v}{c})^{-1}[/tex]

Trig id sin^2 theta is 1-cos^2 theta

[tex](\frac{\lambda \frac{v}{c}(1+\frac{v}{c})^{-2}}{2})(1-cos^2 \theta)+\lambda(1+\frac{v}{c})^{-1}[/tex]

For some reason, I feel like I went into a dead end.

IBY said:
Okay, one last fact checking (hopefully) before I go away for good. :)

So there is:

[tex]\lambda(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-1}[/tex]

I derive it:

[tex]\lambda \frac{v}{c}sin \theta(1+\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^{-2}x[/tex]

Huh?! With respect to what variable are you taking the derivative and why? Also, what is [itex]x[/itex] in the above equation?:confused:

Hhhmm
Evidently, I made the mistaken assumption that the "theta" was the variable. Probably, I am making this more complicated than it is supposed to be.

Well, if you have some function [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] is small, then [itex]f(x)\approx f(0)+f'(0)x[/itex] right?

You know that the quantity [itex]\frac{v}{c}\cos\theta[/itex] is small, so why not call that quantity [itex]x[/itex]?

When you do that, you have [itex]\lambda'=\lambda(1+x)^{-1}[/itex] right? So define the function [itex]f(x)=(1+x)^{-1}[/itex] and expand about small 'x'...make sense?

The reason you don't want to use [itex]\theta[/itex] as your variable is because you don't know that [itex]\theta[/itex] is small, so you would need to keep all terms in the Taylor expansion, which doesn't help you at all.

Okay, I think I got it. After I expanded it, I got:

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda(1+x)^{-1}-\lambda(1+x)^{-2}+\frac{2\lambda(1+x)^{-3}}{2}[/tex]

x is small, so it is around 0

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda-\lambda x+\lambda x^2[/tex]

x is v cos (theta)/lambda

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda-\lambda\frac{v}{c}cos \theta+\lambda(\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)^2[/tex]

Well, it turns out I only need the first order expansion in order to get a parallel equation with wavelenght:

[tex]\lambda'=\lambda(1-\frac{v}{c}cos \theta)[/tex]

So, I think I got it! Thanks for the help. :smile:

Last edited:
Looks good to me!:approve:

Related to Derivation of Doppler Shift from Frequency to Wavelenght

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, such as sound or light, due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect is observed when there is a difference in the motion of the source and observer along the line of sight.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect the frequency and wavelength of a wave?

The Doppler effect causes the frequency of a wave to appear higher when the source and observer are moving towards each other, and lower when they are moving away from each other. This results in a shorter or longer wavelength, respectively.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Doppler shift in frequency?

The formula for calculating the Doppler shift in frequency is: f' = f (v +/- vs) / (v +/- vo) , where f is the original frequency, f' is the observed frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vs is the speed of the source, and vo is the speed of the observer.

4. How does the derivation of Doppler shift from frequency to wavelength work?

The derivation of the Doppler shift from frequency to wavelength involves using the formula for calculating the Doppler shift in frequency and the relationship between frequency and wavelength (c = fλ, where c is the speed of light). By rearranging the formula, we can derive the formula for calculating the Doppler shift in wavelength, which is: λ' = λ (v +/- vo) / (v +/- vs).

5. What are some real-life applications of the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications, including radar technology, medical ultrasound, and astronomical observations. It is also used in police speed guns and in determining the motion of stars and galaxies. In addition, the Doppler effect is used in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and the movement of celestial bodies.