Derivation of Bernoulli's equation via Newton's second law

In summary, they go from the last equation to the second by replacing ##\vec{x}## with ##v##, and use the chain rule of differentiation 'backwards'.
Shinaolord
In the derivation on Wikipedia, it says the following
## \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}v = \frac{d}{dx}[\frac{v^2}{2}] ##

How do they go from the second to last to last equation? I've been trying to understand, but I think I'm just looking over something incredibly simple.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hi,

first they replace ##\frac{dx}{dt}## with ##v##, by definition. Then they use the chain rule of differentiation 'backwards'.

Yes I know where the v comes from, I just don't see how they get the 1/2

Could you perhaps show what you mean mathematically? The chain rule backwards, that reminds me of integration by parts, but I don't really seem to understand what you mean.
Thank you for replying though!

Specifically I don't understand how ##\dfrac{dv}{dx}v =\frac{d}{dx}\frac{v^2}{2} ##

Its because ##\frac{d}{dx} v^2 = 2 v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx} ##. So you have to take care of the 2.

Oh wow that is easy. I knew it was something simple, thank you!

You're welcome.

Well, it's a bit inconsistent, because on the one hand they use ##\vec{x}## in the sense of Euler coordinates of fluid dynamics and on the other they use it as the trajectory ##\vec{x}(t)## of the material fluid element. The correct definition of the "material time derivative" of the velocity (and of any other quantity in the Euler notation)
$$\mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}=\partial_t \vec{v} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}.$$
So the correct derivation is as follows
$$\mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=2 \vec{v} \cdot \mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}.$$
For an incompressible fluid you have
$$\rho \mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}=-\vec{\nabla} p.$$
Multiplying this equation by ##\vec{v}## gives
$$\frac{\rho}{2} \mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=-\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} p.$$
If now you are in a static situation, where the pressure is time-independent you get
$$\frac{\rho}{2} \mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=-\mathrm{D}_t p.$$
Since ##\rho=\text{const}## for an incompressible fluid, you finally get by integration over time
$$\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2 + p=\text{const},$$
which is Bernoulli's Law in the most simple case.

The most general extension of this law is the energy balance of a fluid, which expresses the energy-conservation law.

Likes dextercioby

Related to Derivation of Bernoulli's equation via Newton's second law

What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it derived?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. It is derived using Newton's second law, also known as the law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object equals the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

Why is Bernoulli's equation important in science?

Bernoulli's equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids, such as air and water, in motion. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and meteorology, to analyze and predict the flow of fluids.

How is Bernoulli's equation applied in real-life situations?

Bernoulli's equation has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in the design of airplanes and cars, the flow of water in pipes and channels, and the behavior of weather systems. It is also used in medical devices, such as ventilators and inhalers, to ensure proper flow of fluids.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of Bernoulli's equation?

The derivation of Bernoulli's equation involves several assumptions, including the fluid being incompressible, inviscid, and in steady-state flow. It also assumes that the fluid has a constant density and that the flow is along a streamline.

Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all types of fluids?

No, Bernoulli's equation is only valid for ideal fluids, which do not exist in the real world. However, it can be used as an approximation for many types of fluids, especially in cases where the effects of viscosity and compressibility are negligible.