Derivation notation with capital D?

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation notation that the speaker does not recognize and asks for clarification. The notation is eventually identified as a standard notation for the induced connection.
Emil_M
Hi, I came across a derivation notation I didn't recognize:
Let ##s## be some four-vector and ##\tau## the proper time. What is the significance of
$$\frac{Ds}{\mathrm{d}\tau}?$$

I know ##Ds## can be used to mean the Jacobian, but I've never come across the notation above. Does someone recognize it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you come across this notation? It should be explained there what is meant by the notation. If we cannot see the text we are just stabbing in the dark.

I came across this notation in one of my General Relativity scripts, but I checked the entire text before posting and this notation is not introduced in the script. I guess the author believes the notation is commonplace enough not to need an introduction. The only time ##D_X## was used in the context of derivations was in a prove for the linearity of covariant derivatives as an alternative symbol for ##\nabla_x##.

However, ##D## really doesn't make sense in the context of a covariant derivative here, as I wouldn't know what the operator ##\frac{D}{\mathrm{d}\tau}## means?

Specifically, the above notations appears in a chapter about Gyroscopic Precession:
48841_Screen_Shot_2018-02-15_at_14.07.04.jpg

Attachments

• 48841_Screen_Shot_2018-02-15_at_14.07.04.jpg
    48841_Screen_Shot_2018-02-15_at_14.07.04.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 777
Ah ok, the notation is introduced three pages further down... I guess this is a just a formatting error of the author

Thanks for the help, though!

It is not a formatting error. It is a somewhat standard notation for the induced connection.

martinbn said:
It is not a formatting error. It is a somewhat standard notation for the induced connection.
Just to be a bit more specific; the derivative along a curve ##\gamma## with respect to the curve parameter, i.e.,
$$
\frac{Ds}{d\tau} = \nabla_{\dot\gamma} s = \dot x^\mu \nabla_\mu s,
$$
for the induced Levi-Civita connection.

Related to Derivation notation with capital D?

1. What does the capital D in derivation notation represent?

The capital D in derivation notation represents the derivative operator, which is used to denote the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How is the capital D used in differentiation?

The capital D is used to indicate that the function is being differentiated with respect to its independent variable. For example, if we have a function f(x), then D[f(x)] or f'(x) both represent the derivative of f(x) with respect to x.

3. Can the capital D be used for higher order derivatives?

Yes, the capital D can be used for higher order derivatives. For example, D2[f(x)] or f''(x) represents the second derivative of f(x) with respect to x.

4. How is the capital D different from the lowercase d in differentiation?

The capital D indicates that the function is being differentiated with respect to its independent variable, while the lowercase d can be used for partial derivatives or derivatives with respect to a different variable.

5. Is the capital D used in any other mathematical operations?

The capital D is also used in differential equations, where it represents the derivative of a function with respect to the independent variable in the equation.