Derivation: force on magnetic moment in magnetic field

In summary, I am trying to derive the equation ##\vec{\Gamma} = \vec{m} \times \vec{B}##, where ##\vec{m} = I \vec{A}## is the magnetic moment, and ##\vec{A}## is normal to surface ##A##, from the Lorentz force law ##\mathrm{d}\vec{F} = I \vec{dl} \times \vec{B}##. For an arbitrary closed current loop ##C## enclosing the area ##A##, I have tried$$ \vec{\Gamma} = \oint_C{\mathrm{d}\vec{\Gamma}} =
robinegberts
I am trying to derive the equation ##\vec{\Gamma} = \vec{m} \times \vec{B}##, where ##\vec{m} = I \vec{A}## is the magnetic moment, and ##\vec{A}## is normal to surface ##A##, from the Lorentz force law ##\mathrm{d}\vec{F} = I \vec{dl} \times \vec{B}##. For an arbitrary closed current loop ##C## enclosing the area ##A##, I have tried

$$ \vec{\Gamma} = \oint_C{\mathrm{d}\vec{\Gamma}} = \oint_C{\vec{r} \times \mathrm{d}\vec{F}} = \oint_C{\vec{r} \times I (\vec{dl} \times \vec{B})} = I \oint_C{\vec{r} \times (\vec{dl} \times \vec{B})}.$$

Now I know that ##\vec{A} = \frac{1}{2} \oint{\vec{r} \times \mathrm{d}\vec{l}}##, but I don't know how to complete the proof. I have also tried to consider a square loop giving rise to the magnetic moment ##\vec{m}## to derive the equation, but this looks even more complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it should be a simple result from vector identities, but I think this one might be non-trivial. The vector triple product is non-associative, so ## B ## doesn't simply factor out. An old E&M textbook that I have, Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory by Schwarz, does their torque derivation by assuming that the magnetic field points in the x-direction, and then writes out the torque integrals for each torque component in terms of x, y, and z. ## \\ ## @vanhees71 Might you have a simple trick for this one?

Charles Link said:
It looks like it should be a simple result from vector identities, but I think this one might be non-trivial. The vector triple product is non-associative, so ## B ## doesn't simply factor out. An old E&M textbook that I have, Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory by Schwarz, does their torque derivation by assuming that the magnetic field points in the x-direction, and then writes out the torque integrals for each torque component in terms of x, y, and z. ## \\ ## @vanhees71 Might you have a simple trick for this one?

Right, I agree completely. I forgot about my undergraduate electrodynamics book, we used Griffiths hehe. In Griffiths, the derivation is done for a rectangular loop which is sloped with respect to the magnetic field. However, problem 2 from the chapter 'Magnetic Fields in Matter' covers this question exactly I see now, and gives the complete derivation based solely on vector calculus. I will write it out here for those interested.

Likes Charles Link
So here it goes. First, some required vector identities:

The Jabobi identity:
$$\vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times \vec{B}) + d\vec{l} \times (\vec{B} \times \vec{r}) + \vec{B} \times (\vec{r} \times d\vec{l}) = \vec{0},$$

and the differential:

$$d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] = d\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B}) + \vec{r} \times (d\vec{r} \times B),$$
since ##\vec{B}## is constant. Since ##d\vec{r} = d\vec{l}##, this may be written as

$$d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] = d\vec{l} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B}) + \vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times B).$$

Combining the Jacobian identity with the differential we have

\begin{align}
\vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times \vec{B}) &= d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] - d\vec{l} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B}) \\ &= d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] + d\vec{l} \times (\vec{B} \times \vec{r}) \\ &= d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] - \vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times \vec{B}) - \vec{B} \times (\vec{r} \times d\vec{l}),
\end{align}
and therefore

$$2\vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times \vec{B)} = d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})] - \vec{B} \times (\vec{r} \times d\vec{l}).$$

This gives

\begin{align}
\vec{\Gamma} &= \oint{d\vec{\Gamma}} \\ &= \oint{\vec{r} \times d \vec{F}} \\ &= I \oint{\vec{r} \times (d\vec{l} \times \vec{B})} \\ &= \frac{I}{2} \oint{d[\vec{r} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{B})]} - \frac{I}{2} \oint{\vec{B} \times (\vec{r} \times d\vec{l})} \\ &= \vec{0} -I \vec{B} \times \frac{1}{2} \oint{\vec{r} \times d\vec{l}} \\ &= -I \vec{B} \times \vec{A} \\ &= I \vec{A} \times \vec{B} \\ &= \vec{m} \times \vec{B}.
\end{align}

Likes Charles Link

Related to Derivation: force on magnetic moment in magnetic field

1. What is the definition of magnetic moment?

Magnetic moment refers to the measure of the strength and direction of a magnet or a magnetic object.

2. How is magnetic moment calculated?

Magnetic moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnet by the distance between the north and south poles.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic moment and magnetic field?

The force on a magnetic moment in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the magnetic moment.

4. What is the equation for calculating force on a magnetic moment in a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating force on a magnetic moment in a magnetic field is F = m x B, where F is the force, m is the magnetic moment, and B is the magnetic field strength.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic moment affect the force in a magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic moment determines the direction of the force in the magnetic field. If the magnetic moment is aligned with the magnetic field, the force will be in the same direction. If the magnetic moment is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be at a right angle to the magnetic field.