Derivation about the wave interference

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a single wave and the average energy change that can be observed. The calculation involves triangular identity and approximation, leading to the result that only the average energy change can be observed. The conversation then moves on to a more complex case involving two waves, and the integration leads to a result that does not indicate the sign of bright and dark patterns. The question is raised about whether this is due to an incorrect approximation or integration, and whether there are any circumstances where interference can be detected.
christang_1023
Starting from the simple case, there is a single wave ##e=a\cos(2\pi ft+\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi_0)##, and integrate in such a way, where ##T_{eye}## stands for the response time of human eyes' response time towards energy change:
$$I=\int_{0}^{T_{eye}}e^2dt$$
The calculation includes triangular identity and approximation(i.e. there is a part ##\frac{\sin(a)-sin(b)}{4\pi f}\approx 0##, due to ##f>>2##). The result of the integration is ##I\approx \frac{1}{2}a^2T_{eye}##, showing that we can only observe the average energy change of a wave.

Then, I consider a more complex case in which there are two waves, ##e_1=a_1\cos(2\pi ft+\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi_0),e_2=a_2\cos(2\pi ft)##.
$$I=\int_{0}^{T_{eye}}(e_1+e_2)^2dt$$,
After expanding it, ##I=\frac{1}{2}(a_1^2+a_2^2)T_{eye}+\int_{0}^{T_{eye}}2(e_1e_2)dt##. Concerning the integration, I use the same approximation mentioned above, such that ##\int_{0}^{T_{eye}}2(e_1e_2)dt\approx 0##.

Finally, I get ##I=\frac{1}{2}(a_1^2+a_2^2)T_{eye}##, which doesn't indicate the sign of bright and dark pattern.

Is there anything wrong with my approximation or integration?

Science news on Phys.org
You seem to have a wave traveling in the x direction and a wave that isn't travelling. Is this a circumstance you would expect to lead to visible interference? Or, indeed, one you would expect to exist at all?

Under what circumstances would you expect detectable interference?

Ibix said:
You seem to have a wave traveling in the x direction and a wave that isn't travelling.
Yes. this is a strange model.
The value of the second 'oscillation' is independent of position so can it be a wave?

Related to Derivation about the wave interference

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. How is the wave interference pattern calculated?

The wave interference pattern can be calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total displacement at any point is equal to the sum of the displacements caused by each individual wave. This can be represented mathematically using the wave equation and the concept of phase difference.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the interference pattern?

The intensity of the interference pattern is affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, and the angle of incidence of the waves. The medium through which the waves are traveling can also have an impact on the interference pattern.

4. How does the interference pattern change when the waves have different wavelengths?

The interference pattern changes when the waves have different wavelengths because the phase difference between the waves will vary at different points in the pattern. This can result in a different pattern of constructive and destructive interference, leading to a different overall shape and intensity of the interference pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave interference?

Wave interference has many practical applications, including in technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI, as well as in seismology for studying earthquakes. Additionally, wave interference is utilized in musical instruments to create harmonious sounds and in optics for producing interference patterns that can be used for measurements and analysis.