Dependence of damping constant on current

In summary, when using an eddy current brake, the damping constant ##δ## is expected to increase with the current ##I## supplied. However, contrary to initial expectations, ##δ## is actually proportional to ##I^2## instead of merely ##I##. This is because the magnitude of the eddy current is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux, which is also proportional to the induced current. This relationship is further supported by the fact that the B1-field induced by the brake is proportional to the current, and the induced eddy voltage, current, and B2-field are all proportional to each other. Additionally, the braking force is proportional to the magnetic energy density in the airgap, which is also dependent
PlickPlock
Using an eddy current brake, one would expect the damping constant ##δ## to increase with the current ##I## supplied to the eddy current brake. My question is, why is ##δ## proportional to ##I^2## and not merely ##I##?

The magnitude of the eddy current is ##\frac{1}{R}\frac{dΦ}{dt}##, which is why I initially thought ##δ## was proportional to ##I##, because the induced current is proportional to ##\frac{dΦ}{dt}##.

P.S: This link http://home.uni-leipzig.de/prakphys/pdf/VersucheIPSP/Mechanics/M-17E-AUF.pdf
was what I used as reference; it stated the relation but does not seem to explain why.

Physics news on Phys.org
PlickPlock said:
why is δ proportional to I2 and not merely I?
The B1-field induced by the brake is proportional to I.
The induced eddy voltage in the disk is proportional to the B1-field.
The induced eddy current in the disk is proportional to the eddy voltage.
The induced B2-field from the disk is proportional to the eddy current.
The braking force is proportional to the magnetic energy density in the airgap = ½*B1*(B20) [ J/m3 ].

That's why.

Last edited:
Likes PlickPlock

Related to Dependence of damping constant on current

1. What is the concept of damping constant?

The damping constant is a measure of the rate at which the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator decays over time. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior of many physical systems.

2. How does the dependence of damping constant on current affect electrical circuits?

In electrical circuits, the damping constant is directly proportional to the current flowing through the circuit. This means that an increase in current will result in a higher damping constant, leading to a faster decay of the oscillations in the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between damping constant and resistance in a circuit?

In a circuit, the damping constant is inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as resistance increases, the damping constant decreases, resulting in slower decay of the oscillations.

4. Can the damping constant be adjusted in an electrical circuit?

Yes, the damping constant can be adjusted by changing the resistance or by using a damping component, such as a resistor or capacitor, in the circuit. By adjusting the damping constant, the rate of decay of oscillations can be controlled.

5. How does the dependence of damping constant on current affect the stability of a system?

In general, a higher damping constant leads to a more stable system. This is because a higher damping constant results in a faster decay of oscillations, preventing the system from experiencing large, unpredictable swings in behavior. However, in some cases, too high of a damping constant can lead to over-damping, which can also affect the stability of a system.