DePauls M.S in Pure Mathematics

In summary, the conversation is about different universities and their math programs. The speaker mentions knowing some students who are graduating from DePaul with their M.S. in pure math and going on to prestigious Ph.D. programs at the University of Oregon and Toronto. However, the speaker expresses doubts about DePaul's math program and is considering transferring to finish their M.S. and pursue a Ph.D. at another university.
ada
I was just wondering what people thought about this program. I know a couple of kids who are graduating with their M.S. in pure math from DePaul and they are going to university of Oregon and Toronto for the phd's.

Physics news on Phys.org
DePaul is a decent school overall, ranking 121. I don't see it having a well known math school. What did your friends say?

Some have better things to say than others, obviously the two I mentioned learned something or they wouldn't have been accepted into those phd programs considering Oregon and Toronto have excellent programs. I ask because I am currently at IIT and am not overly impressed with their faculty, lots of foreigners some of the professors speak terrible English. The only two other schools in Chicago that are still open for applications are Loyola and DePaul so I would just be going there to finish up my M.S. and then transfer out for my phd.

Related to DePauls M.S in Pure Mathematics

1. What is the curriculum like for DePaul's M.S in Pure Mathematics?

The curriculum for DePaul's M.S in Pure Mathematics is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in pure mathematics, as well as opportunities for specialization in areas such as algebra, analysis, and topology. The program consists of a combination of core courses, electives, and a thesis or project option.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of DePaul's M.S in Pure Mathematics?

Graduates of DePaul's M.S in Pure Mathematics program are well-equipped for careers in fields such as academia, research, finance, data analysis, and computer science. Some may also choose to pursue further education in a Ph.D program.

3. How long does it typically take to complete the program?

The M.S in Pure Mathematics program at DePaul can be completed in two years of full-time study, or up to six years of part-time study. The actual length of the program may vary depending on individual course schedules and thesis/project completion time.

4. Is this program suitable for students with a non-mathematics background?

While a strong background in mathematics is preferred, DePaul's M.S in Pure Mathematics program is open to students with a variety of undergraduate backgrounds. However, students with non-mathematics backgrounds may be required to take additional prerequisite courses to ensure they have the necessary foundation for advanced mathematics coursework.

5. Is financial aid available for this program?

DePaul offers a variety of financial aid options for graduate students, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. Students can also apply for teaching or research assistantships within the Mathematics department. More information on financial aid can be found on the DePaul website or by contacting the Financial Aid office.