Density waves in gravitationally interacting particles

In summary, the conversation is about the equilibrium and density waves in an infinite system of point-like particles with gravitational interaction. The speaker has read chapters from Chandrasekhar's books and searched for articles on the subject but found limited information. They mention that the kinetics of gravitational systems is complicated due to the long-range nature of the gravitational potential. The speaker is interested in non-dispersive wave propagation in this medium and if transverse waves can exist. Any help or information on these topics would be appreciated.
ohad
My question is about system of infinite number of point like particles with gravitation interaction (classic Newtonian interactions).
If the infinite system can be considered to be in equilibrium, uniform density, in 3D, did anyone analyzed this system with regard to propagation of density waves?
If so, what is the waves velocity and are they sustainable?

I read few chapters from Chandrasekhar's books and I tried to search for articles about it.
one article even stated that this issue was not yet solved in 3d:
http://www.if.ufrgs.br/~levin/Pdfs.dir/gravity1d.pdf
(Statistical mechanics of 1D self-gravitating systems: the core–halo distribution)

I know this issue was investigated very carefully in context of spiral galaxies, but it was not general to infinite configuration.

I really appreciate any help you can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetics of gravitational systems is tricky, because of the long-range nature of the gravitational potential. Usually you find a chapter about the non-relativistic (i.e., non-GR) situation in many cosmology textbooks when it comes to structure formation.

I looked around for this issue a while ago and the problem with cosmology treatment of this issue is that the timescales of close encounters is very large in relation to the evolution time. When such limitation is imposed, it means that waves are propagated dispersively.
I remember that I encountered somewhere (but I don't remember exactly where) in a claim that if close encounter timescale is very short in regard to the evolution time, waves are propagated non-dispersively.
My questions are:
1. Do you know about an analysis of non-dispersive waves propagation in such a medium?
2. Can transverse waves exist in such a medium (in ideal gas it cannot)?

Any hint will be of great help.

Related to Density waves in gravitationally interacting particles

1. What are density waves in gravitationally interacting particles?

Density waves in gravitationally interacting particles are patterns that arise in a system of particles that are gravitationally attracted to one another. These waves occur when the particles move in a synchronized pattern, creating regions of high and low density.

2. How do density waves form in gravitationally interacting particles?

Density waves form when a system of particles experiences a disturbance, such as a passing object or a sudden change in mass distribution. This disturbance causes the particles to move in a synchronized pattern, forming regions of higher and lower density.

3. What is the significance of density waves in gravitationally interacting particles?

Density waves play a crucial role in shaping and maintaining the structure of many astronomical objects, such as galaxies and planetary rings. They also play a role in the formation of new stars and planets by causing particles to clump together.

4. Can density waves be observed in real life?

Yes, density waves have been observed in various astronomical objects, such as Saturn's rings and spiral galaxies. These waves can be detected through various methods, such as measuring changes in brightness or using Doppler shifts in the particles' movements.

5. How do scientists study density waves in gravitationally interacting particles?

Scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to study the behavior of density waves in gravitationally interacting particles. They also observe and analyze data from telescopes and spacecraft to better understand the formation and effects of these waves in different astronomical objects.