Density of water using bulk modulus

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the density of water at a depth of 5.3km but is having trouble with formulas and getting stuck.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

Estimate the density of the water 5.3km deep in the sea. (bulk modulus for water is B=2.0×109N/m2.)

Homework Equations

P = F/A = Dgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to go about starting this one. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. They want you to start out with the density of water at the surface, and, based on the pressure at depth and the bulk modulus, calculate the density at depth. Don't forget that the density is the reciprocal of the specific volume.

Chet

so D=1000kg/m^3 at surface. P at depth = Dgh = (M/V)gh and B for water = 2.0x10^9. My main problem is I can't see what to calculate the mass or volume of. And I can't think of how the bulk modulus would tie in because B = -P/(V/V0) and once again I know nothing about any volume. I am completely stuck on this one =[

If you think about it physically, the density would be the same for any volume of water, so long as the volume is small compared with the whole of the sea.

So try using your equations starting with an arbitrary volume ##V_0##. Do it using algebra. Don't start plugging in numbers till you have a "formula" for the answer.

toothpaste666 said:
so D=1000kg/m^3 at surface. P at depth = Dgh = (M/V)gh and B for water = 2.0x10^9. My main problem is I can't see what to calculate the mass or volume of. And I can't think of how the bulk modulus would tie in because B = -P/(V/V0) and once again I know nothing about any volume. I am completely stuck on this one =[

1. The oceans are not composed of fresh water.
2. If you have a cube of seawater whose volume is 1 m^3 at the surface, what would the volume of this cube be at a depth of 5.3 km?

Likes 1 person
Or alternately, take as a basis 1 kg of mass. What would its volume be at the surface? If the pressure on this same kg of mass were raised to that at depth, what would be its new volume?

Chet

Likes 1 person
ok so this is what i have so far:
v' = change in velocity P'= change in pressure.
denisty of seawater = 1025 kg/m^3
assuming denisty D is constant
v'/v = P'/B = (Dg(h2)-Dg(h1))/B
h1 is the height of surface which is 0 so

v'/v = Dg(h2)/B = (1025)(9.8)(5300)/(2.0*10^9) = .027

so v'/v = .027
if the volume of the cube of water was 1m^3
v'=.027
so the change in volume was .027.
D= m'/v'
we are using the same mass and finding the difference in volume. at the surface D=1025 and V=1m^3 so M=1025kg
so D=m/v' = 1025/.027 = 38000

its says i am wrong. I am very stuck on this one =[

toothpaste666 said:
ok so this is what i have so far:
v' = change in velocity P'= change in pressure.

Isn't v' the change in volume, not velocity?

denisty of seawater = 1025 kg/m^3
assuming denisty D is constant
v'/v = P'/B = (Dg(h2)-Dg(h1))/B
h1 is the height of surface which is 0 so

v'/v = Dg(h2)/B = (1025)(9.8)(5300)/(2.0*10^9) = .027

so v'/v = .027
if the volume of the cube of water was 1m^3
v'=.027
so the change in volume was .027.

You are saying that the change in volume, not the new volume, is 0.027 m^3

D= m'/v'
we are using the same mass and finding the difference in volume. at the surface D=1025 and V=1m^3 so M=1025kg
so D=m/v' = 1025/.027 = 38000

You have to use the new volume of the seawater at depth, rather than the change in volume, to calculate the new density. You seem to have gotten your formulas mixed up.

Likes 1 person
the volume was compressed because the mass is the same and density is higher so
1-.027 = .973
the new volume is .973
D= 1025/.973 = 1053 kg/m^3

which is correct. thank you all :)

The left hand side of your equation should be (v'/v)-1, not v'/v.

Chet

out of curiosity, how would I find a precise answer to this? I would guess setting up an integral but since the density and depth are both variant does that mean I would need a double integral?

Not exactly. You would write down a pair of coupled ordinary differential equations involving the density ( or specific volume) and the pressure as dependent variables. These equations would have to be solved simultaneously.

Chet

Related to Density of water using bulk modulus

What is the bulk modulus of water?

The bulk modulus of water is a measure of its resistance to compression. It is a measure of how much pressure is required to decrease the volume of water by a certain amount.

How is the bulk modulus of water related to its density?

The bulk modulus of water is inversely proportional to its density. This means that as the density of water increases, the bulk modulus decreases and vice versa.

What is the formula for calculating the density of water using bulk modulus?

The formula for calculating the density of water using bulk modulus is: density = bulk modulus / (pressure x 9.8). This formula takes into account the pressure and gravitational force acting on the water.

Why is the density of water important in understanding its bulk modulus?

The density of water is important in understanding its bulk modulus because it is one of the factors that affects the bulk modulus. By knowing the density of water, we can better understand how it will react to changes in pressure and volume.

How does the density of water using bulk modulus differ from its other density measurements?

The density of water using bulk modulus is a more accurate measurement of density compared to other methods such as absolute density or relative density. This is because it takes into account the compressibility of water, which can affect its density under different conditions.