Density of states and Raman spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the contribution of w(q) away from the Brillouin zone in order to fit experimental data to the theory and understand the quantum theory in Raman spectroscopy. The speaker, a theoretical physicist, explains that w(q) is the phonon dispersion relation and can be obtained from the density of states (DOS) diagram. They also mention the concept of zone folding to calculate contributions in multiple zones.
INARS
Hello everyone

Lately I am taking some problem with my thesys, I am not an expert in theoretical physics but not bad as experimetal.
I want to calculate the contribution of the w(q) away from zone O ob Brillouin to fit my experimental data to the theory and to know if the quantum theory work in Raman spectroscopy. I have the diagram of density of states, but i have to take the different w(q) to calculate the intensity of Raman mode dependin how far it is from BZc and sum all of them to obtain the final Raman vibration shape and shift. My problem is I don't know hoe to take those w(q) form the diagram DOS and how they look. Could you help me on this :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I am a theoretical physicist and I would be happy to assist you with your problem. The w(q) term you are referring to is the phonon dispersion relation, which is the relationship between the phonon frequency and its wave vector. This term is crucial in understanding the behavior of phonons in a crystal lattice, which in turn affects the Raman scattering intensity.

To obtain the w(q) values, you can use the density of states (DOS) diagram as a guide. The DOS diagram shows the number of states at each energy level, and the peaks in the diagram correspond to the phonon frequencies. The w(q) values can be calculated by taking the derivative of the DOS with respect to energy.

As for the contribution of w(q) away from the Brillouin zone, you can use the concept of zone folding. This means that the phonon dispersion relation repeats itself at multiples of the Brillouin zone, so you can use the w(q) values from the first Brillouin zone to calculate the contributions in other zones.

I hope this helps you with your calculations and understanding of the quantum theory in Raman spectroscopy. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Density of states and Raman spectroscopy

1. What is the concept of density of states in relation to Raman spectroscopy?

The density of states refers to the distribution of energy levels of particles in a material. In Raman spectroscopy, it is used to determine the vibrational states of molecules and the energy levels of their bonds.

2. How does Raman spectroscopy measure density of states?

Raman spectroscopy uses a laser to excite the molecules in a sample, causing them to vibrate and emit scattered light. This scattered light is then analyzed to determine the energy levels of the molecules, which can then be used to calculate the density of states.

3. What is the relationship between density of states and the Raman scattering intensity?

The Raman scattering intensity is directly proportional to the density of states. This means that a higher density of states will result in a higher Raman scattering intensity, and vice versa.

4. Can density of states be used to identify different molecules in a mixture?

Yes, the density of states can be used to identify different molecules in a mixture. Each molecule has a unique density of states, so by analyzing the Raman spectra of a mixture, the individual molecules can be identified based on their specific energy levels.

5. How is density of states data used in materials science research?

Density of states data is used in materials science research to understand the electronic and vibrational properties of materials. It can provide information on the bonding, structure, and composition of a material, and is used to design and develop new materials with specific properties.