Best science-related magazines?

• Thread starter Tail
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about different science and technology magazines and the opinions of the participants. Some mentioned magazines include New Scientist, Science (The Journal), PCWorld, Popular Science, Sky & Telescope, Popular Mechanics, Discovery, Scientific American, and National Geographic. The participants share their personal preferences and discuss the pros and cons of each magazine. The conversation also includes a discussion about book clubs and the dilemma of choosing between different magazine subscriptions. Overall, the participants express a love for various science-related magazines and encourage the individual seeking advice to explore different options.
Tail
I'm thinking about ordering New Scientist, is it any good?

Are there any you consider to be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know about that one,but I had a subscription to Science (The Journal} from the AAAS, and I liked that one, alot!

Lots to read, comes out 52 times a year, diversity in scientific knowledge, (very multi-disciplinary, IMO) nice production, nice product.

I'm only fifteen, so my opinion will probably vary from the University students or adults.

I enjoy PCWorld for Computers and Technology. It is easily the best computer periodical and nothing even comes close.

For general science, I enjoy Popular Science. It is an interesting read. Sky & Telescope is pretty good for Astronomy.

Otherwise I just find news on the internet.

I miss Omni, dammit!

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I have always enjoyed Popular Mechanics, Discovery and Scientific American.

Liked 'Scientific Amercican' as well, the televison program too.

Was also a member of a Book Club called "The Library of Science", ("Snailmailed", then) good offers on really well written, challenging, scientific books. Wide variety, some clearance sales that got me things that were really esoteric in nature, even though it was a book on the fundamentals of neutrons.

I also am very fond of Sci Am. Have had subscription for years, and still maintain. Popular science is good too, but a little "Dick and Jane" for my tastes.

I currently subscribe to Astronomy and Discover magazine. However, I am rather ambivalent about renewing my subscription to Discover; because my mother won't allow me to subscribe to too many magazines. So if I subscribe to Scientific American, then I'll have to cancel my subscription to either Discover or Astronomy magazine. What would you recommend? I'm a fan of nearly all of the sciences, although I am only 14 years old. I enjoy reading both Discover and the Scientific American magazines I check out from the library, even if I don't understand all ofthe content. Also, if I don't have enough time for telescope observing, should I just cancel my subscription to Astronomy? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

my favorites...

Scientific American
Science
Astronomy
Sky & Telescope
National Geographic (although it's not science-only)

What are the best science-related magazines?

The best science-related magazines can vary depending on personal interests and preferences, but some popular options include Scientific American, Discover, National Geographic, Popular Science, and New Scientist.

How can I access science-related magazines?

Many science-related magazines have digital versions available online, while others can be found in physical form at bookstores, libraries, or through subscription services. Some magazines may also offer free online articles or a limited number of free issues.

What types of articles can I expect to find in science-related magazines?

Science-related magazines typically cover a wide range of topics including the latest scientific research and discoveries, current events in the scientific community, interviews with scientists, and articles on popular science topics such as space, technology, and the environment.

Are science-related magazines reliable sources of information?

Generally, science-related magazines are considered to be reliable sources of information as they are written and edited by experts in the field. However, it is always important to critically evaluate the sources and evidence presented in any publication.

Are there any science-related magazines specifically geared towards children?

Yes, there are several science-related magazines that are targeted towards children and young adults, such as National Geographic Kids, Science News for Students, and Muse. These magazines often use simpler language and include colorful illustrations to make scientific concepts more accessible for younger readers.