Density matrix in Momentum Space

In summary, you can use the same formula to extract a "momentum density" from the one-body density matrix, just substituting k for x and using momentum space wave functions.
Morberticus
I have an one-body density matrix in a Sine wave basis set (Thus psi = psi*). Unfortunately, these are not the natural orbitals (I have correlated particles), so I have off-diagonal elements. I believe I know how to extract the charge density from this density matrix

[itex]\rho(x;x') = \sum_{ij} c_{ij}\psi_i(x)\psi_j(x')[/itex]

Where x' = x. Can I do something similar to extract a "momentum density"?

[itex]\rho(k;k') = \sum_{ij} c_{ij}\psi_i(k)\psi_j(k')[/itex]

Where k' = k?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help. Yes, you can do something similar to extract a "momentum density" from the one-body density matrix. The formula you provided is correct. You just have to substitute k for x in the formula and use the momentum space wave functions instead of the position space wave functions.

Related to Density matrix in Momentum Space

1. What is a density matrix in momentum space?

A density matrix in momentum space is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitudes of a quantum system in terms of the momentum states. It allows for the characterization of the system's energy and momentum distribution.

2. How is a density matrix in momentum space different from a position space density matrix?

A density matrix in momentum space is a Fourier transform of the position space density matrix. This means that while the position space density matrix gives information about the position of a particle, the momentum space density matrix gives information about its momentum.

3. What is the physical significance of the diagonal elements of a density matrix in momentum space?

The diagonal elements of a density matrix in momentum space represent the probability amplitudes for the system to be in a particular momentum state. These probabilities can be used to calculate the expectation values of physical observables such as energy and momentum.

4. How is entanglement represented in a density matrix in momentum space?

Entanglement, which is a phenomenon where the states of two or more particles are correlated, can be represented in a density matrix in momentum space by the off-diagonal elements. These elements indicate the probability amplitudes for the particles to be in a superposition of different momentum states.

5. What are some applications of density matrices in momentum space?

Density matrices in momentum space are commonly used in quantum mechanics and quantum information theory to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are particularly useful in studying the dynamics and correlations of entangled particles, as well as in the calculation of physical quantities such as energy and momentum distributions.