Projectile Motion in 3D: Calculating Landing Spot and Launching Angle

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving the display and prediction of a flying ball's trajectory in 3D. The formula for calculating the landing spot in 2D is shared and the individual has some questions about applying it in 3D. The approach of using the 2D equation and obtaining the third dimension is discussed, along with the concept of the trajectory lying in a plane with a proportional vector normal. The idea of using spherical coordinates to express the launching angle is also mentioned. Further clarification is requested on the cross product and the concept of the trajectory lying in a plane.
Stanley_Smith
:mad:

Hi Everybody,

I'm currently involved in a project in which I have to display the trajectory of a flying ball in 3D and predict its landing spot. My partners will track the ball as it is launched and give me a set of the ball's 3-D coordinates. The display path is easy but I have a few questions about the predicting path:

Normally, the object's landing spot in 2-D will be calculated by the following formula: (v^2*sin(2theta))/g
where v is the initial velocity, theta is the launching angle and g is gravity

Now, I never been exposed to projectile motion in 3-D and I have a few questions:
How do I extract the launching angle from a set of 3-D coordinates ?
And I am thinking about using the 2-D equation above to calculate where the ball will land (in 2-D) and then somehow obtain the third dimension in the end...Is this a right approach ?

Thank you very much,
Stan

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

"And I am thinking about using the 2-D equation above to calculate where the ball will land (in 2-D) and then somehow obtain the third dimension in the end...Is this a right approach ?"

This is a very good approach, because the the trajectory, [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex], will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional to the cross product of the initial velocity vector, [tex]\vec{v}_{0}[/tex], and the constant acceleration vector, [tex]\vec{a}[/tex], i.e [tex]\vec{v}_{0}\times\vec{a}[/tex]

Hence, the trajectory curve is in essence a 2-D curve (its torsion zero).

As for expressing the launching angle, the closest analogy to the 2-D case is the polar (azimuthal??) angle in spherical coordinates.

You can probably just cheat by drawing a line between where you launch it and where it lands, then draw a perpendicular line along the ground and mark it as your Z axis.

"because the the trajectory, [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex], will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional to the cross product of the initial velocity vector, [tex]\vec{v}_{0}[/tex], and the constant acceleration vector, [tex]\vec{a}[/tex], i.e [tex]\vec{v}_{0}\times\vec{a}[/tex]

Hence, the trajectory curve is in essence a 2-D curve (its torsion zero)"

Arildno, could you please explain more about the cross product stated above?
And What do you mean by "will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional "
I kinda understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure...

Thank you,

What is projectile motion in 3-D?

Projectile motion in 3-D is the motion of an object through a three-dimensional space, such as the motion of a ball thrown through the air. It takes into account the effects of gravity and air resistance on the object's trajectory.

What factors affect projectile motion in 3-D?

The factors that affect projectile motion in 3-D include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, the gravitational force, and air resistance. These factors can alter the path of the object and determine its final position.

How is projectile motion in 3-D calculated?

Projectile motion in 3-D can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in three dimensions. These equations take into account the initial conditions and the forces acting on the object.

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion in 3-D?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion in 3-D include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, or launching a rocket into space. These all involve objects moving through a three-dimensional space and being affected by gravity and air resistance.

How does projectile motion in 3-D differ from 2-D?

Projectile motion in 3-D differs from 2-D in that it takes into account the vertical and horizontal components of motion. In 2-D, the path of the object is only affected by the horizontal component, while in 3-D, the vertical component is also considered. This can result in a curved or parabolic path rather than a straight line.