Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dense Subset in a Metric Space

dray

Feb 5, 2012
I'm just working on a problem and wanted some clariciation.

Let $X$ be a metric space and $A$ a non-empty subset of $X$. Is it true that $A$ is dense in $\bar{A}$? Its just that I am assuming this in my proof.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm just working on a problem and wanted some clariciation.

Let $X$ be a metric space and $A$ a non-empty subset of $X$. Is it true that $A$ is dense in $\bar{A}$? Its just that I am assuming this in my proof.
$A$ is dense in $\bar{A}$, by definition, if and only if any point $\bar{a}\in\bar{A}$ belongs either to $A$ or is a limit point of $A$. Is that true?

dray

Feb 5, 2012
Well I am trying to show that if $f:{X}\rightarrow{Y}$ and $g:{X}\rightarrow{Y}$ are continuous functions such that $f(x)=g(x)$ for all $x\in{A}$ then $f(x)=g(x)$ for every $x\in{\bar{A}}$.

So I have started by assuming that $A$ is dense in $\bar{A}$ so that for any $x\in{\bar{A}}$ we can construct a sequence of points $(x_n)$ that converge to $x$, where each $x_n\in{A}$.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Well I am trying to show that if $f:{X}\rightarrow{Y}$ and $g:{X}\rightarrow{Y}$ are continuous functions such that $f(x)=g(x)$ for all $x\in{A}$ then $f(x)=g(x)$ for every $x\in{\bar{A}}$.

So I have started by assuming that $A$ is dense in $\bar{A}$ so that for any $x\in{\bar{A}}$ we can construct a sequence of points $(x_n)$ that converge to $x$, where each $x_n\in{A}$.
Well, I can appreciate that this is one step in a different proof, but you haven't answered my question in Post # 2. What is the closure of $A$?

dray

Feb 5, 2012
Well, I can appreciate that this is one step in a different proof, but you haven't answered my question in Post # 2. What is the closure of $A$?
I don't know, since all we are told is that $A$ is a subset of a metric space $X$. Hence my initial question.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I don't know, since all we are told is that $A$ is a subset of a metric space $X$. Hence my initial question.
Here's the closure definition. With that information, can you answer the question in post # 2?

dray

Feb 5, 2012
Answer to your post would be "yes".

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Answer to your post would be "yes".
Great! So your answer is...

And that tells you that the answer to your original post is...

dray

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks.

I've just realised that $\bar{A}=({x\in{X}:d(x,A)=0})$, which would have answered my original question.

Brain fried!

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks.

I've just realised that $\bar{A}=({x\in{X}:d(x,A)=0})$, which would have answered my original question.

Brain fried!
Right. A slightly more standard notation would be curly braces: $\bar{A}=\{x\in{X}:d(x,A)=0\}.$

dray

Feb 5, 2012
Right. A slightly more standard notation would be curly braces: $\bar{A}=\{x\in{X}:d(x,A)=0\}.$
Ahhh....I needed to include \ before the {. I'm a $LaTeX$ novice.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ahhh....I needed to include \ before the {. I'm a $LaTeX$ novice.
Understood. Actually, you would write it as $\LaTeX$. (Nod) The curly brace is the basic way to organize collections of things inside a math environment. Such things have to be escaped (that is, preceded by a backslash) if you want to display the actual character.

Cheerio.