Delta-Wye Transformations: How to Simplify Complex Circuits for Easy Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about Delta-Wye transformations in an electrical fundamentals class. The speaker is confused about using full transformations and is stuck on their homework, which is due tonight. They have attempted to find the solution using Ohm's law and other equations, but are having trouble finding the current. They are asking for help in finding the correct value for Ra in the Y-Δ transformation and then reducing the network to a voltage divider.
GreatEscapist
URGENT: Delta-Wye transformations

Hello there. In my electrical fundamentals class (a 201 level class), we just barely started Delta-Wye transformations. However, the homework that is due online tonight uses full transformations...confused, I have just tried to work through this using the book. I have become stuck...

My homework is due tonight at midnight, so please help asap?

Homework Statement

All attached

Homework Equations

Ohm's law, and...I don't know the other ones

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked through most of the solution in the jpg. However, I am stuck. I know I need to find I, because if I can find I, it would be very simple to use Ohm's law in the original circuit.

I have tried to add the series and do parallel to leave

16.87 + 9.62 || 55.5 = Rd

then Rd || 36

Then you are left with a simple circuit to determine I, which I calculated to be 4.4A.

Can someone please help? haha

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry, didn't attach the first time

Attachments

• plz.jpg
    plz.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 494

Check the value that you obtained for Ra from the Y-Δ transformation; either it's not correct or something went wrong with combining it with the 29Ω resistor. Then continue to reduce the network until you're left with two resistances forming a voltage divider.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55022&stc=1&d=1359207332.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 597

Related to Delta-Wye Transformations: How to Simplify Complex Circuits for Easy Analysis

1. What is a Delta-Wye transformation?

A Delta-Wye transformation, also known as a Delta-Star transformation, is a technique used in electrical engineering to simplify complex circuits with multiple resistors or impedances. It involves transforming a delta (Δ) connected circuit into a wye (Y) connected circuit, or vice versa.

2. When should a Delta-Wye transformation be used?

A Delta-Wye transformation should be used when analyzing a circuit that contains both delta and wye connections. By converting the circuit to a single type of connection, it becomes easier to calculate the overall resistance, current, and voltage of the circuit.

3. How is a Delta-Wye transformation performed?

A delta-wye transformation is performed by using a set of mathematical equations to convert the resistors or impedances in a circuit from delta to wye or vice versa. These equations take into account the values of the resistors, the type of connection, and the source voltage.

4. What are the benefits of using a Delta-Wye transformation?

The main benefit of using a Delta-Wye transformation is that it simplifies complex circuits, making them easier to analyze and calculate. This can save time and effort when designing or troubleshooting electrical circuits. Additionally, it can help to reduce errors and improve the accuracy of calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Delta-Wye transformation?

While Delta-Wye transformations are useful in many cases, they do have some limitations. These transformations are only applicable to circuits with purely resistive loads and ideal voltage sources. They also cannot be used for circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors.