Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about solving a 3-phase circuit using mesh analysis. The source is a balanced Delta with Phase A at 480V and 0 degrees, Phase B at -120 degrees, and Phase C at 120 degrees. The load is a balanced Wye load at 0.99 + j0.66. The speaker's mesh equations are Vab = I1 * (Z1 + Z2) - I2 * Z2 and Vbc = -I2 * Z2 + I2 * (Z2 + Z3). The professor mentioned that the loop inside the Delta source will cancel and this problem was solved differently in class, resulting in a line current of 234.3A at -
jmast1161
Hi, I have to solve a 3-phase circuit using mesh analysis. The source is a balanced Delta Phase A = 480V at 0 deg, Phase B is at -120 deg, and Phase C is at 120 deg. The load is a balanced Wye load at 0.99 + j 0.66. My mesh equations are as follows:

Vab = I1 * ( Z1 + Z2) - I2 * Z2
Vbc = -I2 * Z2 + I2 * (Z2 + Z3)

My professor said not to worry about the loop inside of the Delta Source since they will all cancel.

We did this problem in class a different way and got a line current of 234.3A at -33.7 degrees.

When I solved for I1 I got 233.3A at -131 degrees. I am not sure if it is just coincidence that my magnitude is close to the same value or if I messed the angle somehow. Whenever I plug I1 into solve I2, I get a value that is way off. I really want to know if my equations are correct for the Mesh Analysis.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to show your work before we can answer.

Related to Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis

What is Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis?

Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electrical circuits that are connected in a delta or wye configuration. It involves applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Ohm's Law to determine the current and voltage in each branch of the circuit.

What are the advantages of using Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis?

One advantage of using this method is that it simplifies the analysis of complex circuits, especially those with multiple power sources. It also allows for a more efficient use of power, as the three phases can be distributed evenly among the loads.

How do you convert a Delta to a Wye configuration for analysis?

To convert a Delta to a Wye configuration, you need to use the Delta-to-Wye conversion formula. This formula involves replacing each delta branch with an equivalent wye branch and then connecting the three wye branches to a common point, forming a Y-shaped configuration.

What are the limitations of Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for balanced three-phase circuits, where the loads are equal in each phase. It also does not take into account the effects of the mutual inductance between the phases.

How is Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Compared to other methods such as nodal analysis or superposition, Delta/Wye 3-Phase Using Mesh Analysis is specifically designed for three-phase circuits and is more efficient in solving these types of circuits. It also takes into account the phase relationships between the three phases, which is essential in three-phase power systems.