Delta-v for Hohmann transfer from hyperbolic trajectory to circular orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spacecraft returning from a lunar mission and its trajectory towards Earth. The goal is to determine the total delta-v required to lower the spacecraft into a 500 km altitude circular orbit in order to rendezvous with a space station. The calculations and equations used result in a total delta-v of 5.749 km/s, which differs from the stated answer in the book. After examining the accompanying diagram and considering other factors, it is concluded that the text's proposed answer is likely incorrect.
lujz
I get different result than stated in the book.
What am I doing wrong?

Homework Statement

A spacecraft returning from a lunar mission approaches Earth on a hyperbolic trajectory.
At its closest approach A it is at an altitude of 5000 km, traveling at 10 km/s. At
A retrorockets are fired to lower the spacecraft into a 500 km altitude circular orbit,
where it is to rendezvous with a space station.
Verify that the total delta-v required to lower the spacecraft from the hyperbola into the parking orbit is 6.415 km/s.

rEarth = 6378
Gravitational parameter μ = 398600

Homework Equations

r - radius
e - eccentricity
A - apogee
P - perigee

h - angular momentum
v - velocity

r = altitude + rEarth
e = (rA - rP) / (rA + rP)
rP = (h2/μ)*(1/(1+e))
vA = h/rA
vP = h/rP
vcircular = sqrt(μ/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get h = 58458,

Speed at apogee of the transfer orbit:
vA = 5.1378 km/s,

Delta-v at apogee:
ΔvA = 10-5.1378 = 4.86219 km/s

Speed at perigee of the transfer orbit:
vP = 58458/6878 = 8.499 km/s

Speed of the final orbit:
vcircular = 7.6127 km/h

Delta-v at perigee:
ΔvP = 8.499 - 7.6127 = 0.8866 km/s

Total delta-v:
ΔvT = 4.86219 + 0.8866 = 5.749 km/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lujz, welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see anything wrong in your calculations. Is there perhaps an accompanying diagram that might introduce some "quirk" of the setup that is not included in the problem statement? An orbital plane change perhaps?

Hi gneill,

The accompanying diagram is this:
[PLAIN]http://www.shrani.si/f/1l/r7/acGDhup/2/example62.png

The original question is: "Find the location of the space station
at retrofire so that rendezvous will occur at B."
It then proceeds with calculations for periods and the angle in question.
Nothing I can notice that would affect total Δv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I don't see anything there that would affect your solution method. I suppose that the text's proposed answer is in error.

Related to Delta-v for Hohmann transfer from hyperbolic trajectory to circular orbit

1. What is delta-v for a Hohmann transfer?

Delta-v, or change in velocity, is the amount of thrust needed to move a spacecraft from one orbit to another. In the context of a Hohmann transfer, it refers to the change in velocity required to go from a hyperbolic trajectory to a circular orbit.

2. How is delta-v calculated for a Hohmann transfer?

The delta-v required for a Hohmann transfer can be calculated using the formula: Δv = √(GM ((2/r) - (1/a))), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, r is the radius of the initial orbit, and a is the semi-major axis of the final orbit.

3. What factors affect the delta-v for a Hohmann transfer?

The delta-v required for a Hohmann transfer is affected by the mass of the spacecraft, the mass of the central body, and the initial and final orbits. It is also influenced by factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational perturbations, and the accuracy of the spacecraft's trajectory.

4. Can the delta-v for a Hohmann transfer be reduced?

Yes, the delta-v for a Hohmann transfer can be reduced by using techniques such as gravity assists, where the spacecraft utilizes the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies to change its trajectory, or by using a more efficient propulsion system.

5. What is the significance of delta-v in space missions?

Delta-v is a crucial factor in space missions as it determines the feasibility and success of a mission. It affects the amount of fuel and resources needed for a spacecraft, and ultimately impacts the cost and complexity of the mission. Accurate calculations and considerations of delta-v are essential for the planning and execution of space missions.