Delta Function Well and Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving Griffiths Problem 2.25, which involved calculating < p^{2}> for the Delta Function Well. The book provided a wave function and a hint to use the result from the previous problem, which involved the delta function. The conversation discussed how to incorporate the delta function when calculating the expectation value and the derivative of the wave function. The final solution involved using the derivative of the sign function and incorporating it into the calculation.
dwintz02
[SOLVED] Delta Function Well and Uncertainty Principle

Homework Statement

Griffiths Problem 2.25.

I need to calculate < p[tex]^{2}[/tex]> for the Delta Function Well.
The answer given is:
< p[tex]^{2}[/tex]> = ([tex]m\alpha[/tex]/[tex]\hbar[/tex])^2

The wave function given by the book is:

[tex]\Psi(x,0)[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\sqrt{}m\alpha}{\hbar}[/tex] EXP([tex]^{-m\alpha|x|/\hbar^{2}}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

The result I get from just calculating the expectation value is -(ma/hbar)^2. The negative from the operator is still hanging around. However, the hint given in the book specifies that the derivative of Psi has a discontinuity at zero and this affects the value of p^2 because it puts a 2nd derivative on Psi. The book says to use the result from the previous problem which is:

If a function is defined piecewise such that:

"F=1 for x>0
F=0 for x<0
And for the rare case that it matters F(0)=1/2
The result is that dF/dx equals the delta function." I don't know how to incorporate this.

What I am currently doing is plugging in the operator, breaking the integral into 2 parts, one from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to 0 and the other from 0 to +[tex]\infty[/tex]. Is this not enough? If not, how do I calculate the jump in the 2nd derivative at 0? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
(d/dx)|x| = sign(x)

(d/dx)sign(x) = 2 delta(x)

You need to use these when computing derivatives of the wave function.

Awesome, that works out--the extra term from including those in the derivatives makes up the difference from the answer I got and the correct answer. Thanks tons!

Related to Delta Function Well and Uncertainty Principle

1. What is a delta function well?

A delta function well is a mathematical concept used to model a potential well in quantum mechanics. It is a potential energy function that has a very narrow, infinitely tall peak at a single point, representing a localized and strong attractive force.

2. How does a delta function well relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. In the case of a delta function well, the potential energy function is highly localized, meaning the position of the particle is well defined. However, due to the infinitely high potential at that point, the momentum of the particle is completely uncertain.

3. What is the significance of the width of a delta function well?

The width of a delta function well represents the uncertainty in the position of the particle. A narrower well corresponds to a more precise position, while a wider well indicates a larger uncertainty in the position.

4. How does the depth of a delta function well affect the uncertainty in energy?

The depth of a delta function well represents the strength of the attractive force. As the depth increases, the uncertainty in energy decreases. This is because a deeper well corresponds to a more stable particle, with a more well-defined energy state.

5. Can a delta function well exist in the real world?

No, a delta function well is a theoretical concept used in mathematical models. In the real world, there is always some amount of uncertainty in physical properties, and the concept of an infinitely narrow and tall potential well is not physically possible.