Find Best Graphic Calculators for University Maths | Gunnar

In summary, the TI-89 is a recommended choice for its robust Computer Algebra System and symbolic problem solving capabilities. However, it may require extra effort to use and may not be as user-friendly as other TI models. The TI-86 is also a useful choice for its versatility and ease of use, while the TI-83 and TI-83 Plus may have more limited capabilities. Ultimately, it is important to study the manual and become familiar with the calculator in order to fully utilize its capabilities.
Gunni
I'm starting university to learn mathematics and I'm looking for a good graphical calculator, what are good value-for-money models that would be useful for some time to come?

Thanks,
Gunnar.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for a math degree a calculator will be of little use after you complete your sophomore year.

I see. I think I'll ask around at the university if there's any need for one of those, but do you have any reccomendations anyway?

TI-89 (Texas Instruments). Very reasonable price for what it can do.

look into ebay... you might be able to save $50

a calculate i seggest as an australian one we all use through out school is the casio cfx-9850gb plus. it is a colour power graphic with 32kb of memory. about $150 aus

Last edited:
TI-83 plus SILVER edition for around $140 is probably the most reasonable for university students. It is good for all math classes, including Algebra, Geometry, and Calculus. - also useful for science and technology classes. If you want to spend more/less money: TI-83 Plus for $100, TI-89 for about $200, and then newest TI-84 Plus for $400.

Yea, TI-83+ works fine, but if you want to be like dr spock from Star Trek buy a TI-89.

Disclaimer: All of the capabilities I describe below are built-in to the TI-89 as it comes out of the box -- not requiring the download or installation of any extra illicit software.

Graphing is a small part of the TI-89's capability. It is a robust CAS (Computer Algebra System). Enter most any algebra or calculus problem and receive a symbolic result. Factor and expand polynomials. Take derivatives and integrals. Substitute expressions into one another, as you would on paper. Manipulate variables in a symbolic way, like in Mathematica. Output is formatted in "pretty print," so solutions look identical to the way they're printed in a textbook.

It is no mere visual aid -- it will solve the whole problem for you in one step. Studying with this calculator takes extra effort: since the answer is a keystroke away, you have to work with much more discipline to actually learn your material. I make it a point to solve a problem by hand first and use the TI-89 only to check my work; however, even doing this, you can lose the sense of confidence in your own work -- when it doesn't feel correct unless the machine says so.

All in all, the TI-89 is an incredible problem solving tool. Most of my professors underestimate its capability, and even my peers who own the calculator hardly know what it will do. Treat it like you would an integral table: the table is not a learning tool, but later you will require its convenience when solving more difficult problems.

i never used a graphing calculator until i got to my Precalc 2 class. The professor required one or we would fail, so i went out and bought a TI-83, used it that semester and gave it away. never needed it after that.

TI Calculators

I have owned and used the TI-83, TI-86, and TI-89.

The 89 is too difficult to use and gives uncertain forms. Of course, it is the best for some problems, since it gives "a lot" of answers in closed form. It has a very small display and so is hard to read. Its use is too specialized.

The 86 has been around the longest, and in my opinion is the most useful and effective calculator you get for most any purpose, including graphing.

I don't see the 83, silver edition included, as having much to recommend itself one way or the other. It is sometimes faster than the TI-86, but is more limited in its range of operation.

However, I have had friends who complain that the TI series is too difficult to use, and that is because they do not want to study the manual WHICH IS ESSENTIAL TO USING THE CALCULATOR. If you want something that does not require learning necessary "sentances" for input, that resembles how you would work the problem on paper, well, try somewhere other than TI. The TIs are really a form of computer programing, rathan than intuitive calculation.

What are graphic calculators and why are they useful for university maths?

Graphic calculators are specialized electronic devices that can perform various mathematical calculations, including graphing and complex equations. They are useful for university maths because they can save time and provide visual representations of mathematical concepts.

What features should I look for when choosing a graphic calculator for university maths?

When choosing a graphic calculator for university maths, you should look for features such as a large display screen, a variety of mathematical functions, and the ability to save and transfer data. You should also consider the calculator's durability and battery life.

Are there any specific brands or models of graphic calculators that are recommended for university maths?

There are several brands and models of graphic calculators that are commonly recommended for university maths, including the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-9750GII, and HP Prime. It is important to check with your university or professor to see if they have any specific requirements.

Can I use a graphic calculator on exams and tests in university maths courses?

It depends on the policies of your university and professor. Some may allow the use of graphic calculators on exams and tests, while others may only allow certain models or none at all. It is important to clarify this with your professor before using a graphic calculator on an exam or test.

Are there any alternative options to using a graphic calculator for university maths?

Yes, there are alternative options for performing mathematical calculations in university maths courses, such as using a computer program or online tool. However, it is important to check with your professor to see if these alternatives are allowed for exams and tests.