Delete Threads: Mod Abilities & Questions Answered

• Thread starter NavitaLaVida
  • Start date
In summary, if a mod deletes a thread because the problems are solved, then the poster can show the mod that they did the work by printing out their posts/threads and presenting them to the teacher.
NavitaLaVida
so how can a mod delete a thread? especially if the problems are solved. can someone delete my threads?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're talking about a homework thread, then we do not delete threads that have been answered. Aside from the fact that this would be a very time consuming task, if we remove your question then it will serve no purpose for future members.

If, on the other hand, you have a valid reason for something to be deleted, then please use the report thread button.

erm
it's just that
my other classmates found my threads
and are now using all of my work
which if the teacher finds out, would be considered cheating
isn't that valid enough?

NavitaLaVida said:
erm
it's just that
isn't that valid enough?
Turn them in if they are cheating. You can show the teacher that you did the work by showing them your thread.

Evo said:
Turn them in if they are cheating. You can show the teacher that you did the work by showing them your thread.
I agree with Evo. Simply print your threads/posts and present them to the teacher. Let the teacher take the appropriate action.

I am not sure why one would be held responsible for the cheating of others, if that is one's concern.

Astronuc said:
I agree with Evo. Simply print your threads/posts and present them to the teacher. Let the teacher take the appropriate action.

I am not sure why one would be held responsible for the cheating of others, if that is one's concern.
Well, usually if the teacher can't tell which is the original honest piece of work, both the original and copied transcript would usually get zero marks.

I don't think the teacher should have a problem in telling what the original work was. Plus if the threads followed PF policy, the other students following the thread should have to do the bulk of the work themselves and will only have been told how to approach the problem or given an insight into a particular part of the problem. Like others have said I don't think it would be useful to delete threads that could help other students. Not to mention the admin nightmare if this policy was widely used.

NavitaLaVida said:
erm
it's just that
isn't that valid enough?
Cheating by whom? Are you concerned the instructor will deem your classmates' work is cheating or are you concerned that your coming here in the first place is cheating?

If you were not allowed seek outside assistance in solving the problems posed by your instructor, then your coming to PhysicsForums was a violation of that contract. We cannot know what every school's policy is on getting outside help. In general we assume that those who come here for help are allowed to do so.

If you are allowed to come here for help, then so are your classmates. The threads you start are not yours; they are community property. The posts made by others in "your" threads that helped you arrive at a solution to some problem most definitely are not yours as you did not write those posts.

We have a policy of not deleting homework threads, and because some students would go back and delete posts so that others would not copy, we had to restrict (limit) the editing period.

The Homework Forums are for posting HW problems and seeking guidance to solve the problem. We do not work the problem for the students. Also, it would not be appropriate for students to pose test questions if they are supposed to be doing their own work without assistance.

If one does not want to leave a permanent record of one's homework - do not use PF. Simple as that.

Finally, we volunteer our time and people get FREE services here. We are not going to customize for each and every case, especially when most people do not pay for the service.

Astronuc said:
If one does not want to leave a permanent record of one's homework - do not use PF. Simple as that.
I agree wholeheartedly. Deleting homework threads once someone got the requisite help would differ little from offering private tutoring services. The volunteers here offer public tutoring services, and do so for free. My going consultancy rate is $250/hour. I suspect few students are willing to pony up that amount of cash. My PF rate is $0/hour, with caveats. One caveat: I do not do private tutoring.

My name is anonymous so nobody would b able to copy, though I have had the problem of my answers coming up on google when typed in. I just word it a bit different, nobody really gives you the answer here anyway.

NavitaLaVida said:

Hi NavitaLaVida! :smile:

You joined PF today, and you've only posted two problems, and in them (except when for some reason you showed your solution for a part you had done) you didn't show anything other than what other PF members helped you with.

So your classmates are not using your work, they're using our hints … the same as you are! :smile:

Related to Delete Threads: Mod Abilities & Questions Answered

1. What are the reasons for deleting threads?

Threads may be deleted by moderators for a variety of reasons, including violation of community guidelines, spam or advertising, off-topic content, and duplicate threads.

2. Can users request for a thread to be deleted?

Yes, users can report a thread to moderators and request for it to be deleted. However, the final decision lies with the moderators based on the reasons mentioned above.

3. Is there a time limit for deleting threads?

Moderators may choose to delete a thread at any time, depending on the situation. In some cases, threads may be locked and left visible for archival purposes.

4. How can moderators delete a thread?

Moderators have the ability to delete a thread by accessing the moderation tools and selecting the option to delete. This action cannot be undone, so it is important for moderators to carefully consider their decision before deleting a thread.

5. Are there any alternatives to deleting a thread?

In some cases, moderators may choose to lock a thread instead of deleting it. This prevents further discussion and activity on the thread, but still keeps it visible for historical purposes.