Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment Results

In summary: Well, not quite. In the experiment, the histograms are not actually correlated. This is because the photons that land on the detectors are not correlated with each other.
Suleyman EROGLU
Hello everyone.
I want to ask some questions about dcqe experiments results which are bugging my mind. It is so hard to find reliable sources in my native language so I'm here. Also sorry for my scuffed english.
Assuming we all know the famous experiment setup, I am directly passing to the questions.
- Even if the particle hits the screen before it's entangled twin reaches the detector (which gives us the information of which slit is particle came from), there is slit pattern on screen. First I thought they communicate each other beyond time but some says it has nothing with sending information past or future. So if it is, would you kindly explain how it works.
- When a quantum eraser added to system (which makes lose the information of particles came from) we see interference pattern. So it has nothing with the measurement device but the exact information of particles. So how particles know that we gathered information true or not?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suleyman EROGLU said:
Assuming we all know the famous experiment setup...
There are several, some which have actually been done and some of which are thought experiments, You'll have to tell us exactly which one you're thinking about here.

I've talked about this one.

Suleyman EROGLU said:
- When a quantum eraser added to system (which makes lose the information of particles came from) we see interference pattern. So it has nothing with the measurement device but the exact information of particles. So how particles know that we gathered information true or not?

This is incorrect and a common wrong assumption about the experiment. You never see an interference pattern on the screen in the DCQE experiment. You can only see the interference pattern in the coincidence counts between both detectors. This is crucial. The rough story to what happens is: correlation. The broad slit pattern is basically a superposition of two interference patterns, which are out of phase with each other. Photons that tend to end up on the peaks of the first interference pattern will have entangled twin photons on the other side that tend to end up on one of the detectors with erased which-way information preferentially. Photons that tend to end up on the peaks of the second interference pattern will have entangled twin photons on the other side that tend to end up on the other detector with erased which-way information preferentially. Photons that end up on the detectors which yield which-way information, end up on each of the two interference patterns with equal probability, which yields the slit pattern. That is all. If you want to understand the physics in a more-than-handwaving way, you need to read the actual publications and do the math yourself. It is not that complicated.

Likes vanhees71
Regarding the histograms formed by the measurements of where the photon it the screen. Is it true that the histogram for all cases where which-path was measured (both A and B slits combined) matches the histogram for all cases where which-path was NOT measured?

It seems this must be true, right?

1. What is the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment is a thought experiment in quantum physics that involves the concept of wave-particle duality. It explores the behavior of particles when observed or measured, and the potential for their behavior to change based on the type of observation or measurement being made.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment involves a setup where a photon (particle of light) is sent through a series of two slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. However, before the photon reaches the screen, a detector is placed in front of one of the slits to determine which path the photon took. This measurement collapses the wave function and eliminates the interference pattern. The delayed choice comes into play when the detector is removed before the photon reaches the screen, allowing the interference pattern to reappear.

3. What is the significance of the experiment's results?

The results of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment challenge our understanding of causality and the role of observation in the behavior of particles. It suggests that the act of observing or measuring a particle can affect its behavior, even retroactively, raising questions about the fundamental nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the universe.

4. Has the experiment been successfully conducted?

Yes, the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment has been successfully conducted multiple times, with results consistently showing the same patterns of interference and collapse depending on the presence or absence of the detector. However, there is still ongoing research and debate about the interpretations and implications of these results.

5. How does this experiment relate to other quantum phenomena?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment is just one example of many quantum phenomena that challenge our classical understanding of the universe. It is often discussed in relation to other concepts such as superposition, entanglement, and the observer effect. These all point to the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics and the need for further research and exploration in this field.