Delayed choice quantum eraser by Kim et al.

In summary, the single detector counting rate of Do is approximately 280000 counts per second. This is roughly 10000 bigger than the coincident count. The biggest problem is that the exact details of the experiment were not published, which makes it difficult to understand why the curve of D0 detections in Figure 4 doesn't materially vary by location.
Dadface
Hello
I have been looking at the results published by Kim et Al and am a little bit baffled by one of the graphs shown in fig 4. which shows the single detector counting rate of Do. The rate is very approximately constant across the whole range and averages about 280000 counts per second. Very roughly speaking this is about 10000 bigger than the coincident count.
I'm assuming that the experiment was well shielded from external light but that light was reaching Do from the laser. If that's the case then even in low illumination I would have expected a much higher count rate when compared to the coincident counts, due to the low conversion efficiency of the BBO crystal (about one in ten to the twelve according to Wiki)
I think the biggest problem is that the exact details of the experiment were not published. Can anyone enlighten me please or show me where to look for more details?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Would laser light that doesn't undergo SPDC necessarily reach D0? I had assumed that the lens that focuses light towards D0 would have been placed out of the path of the non-SPDC photons. Since the SPDC photons are deflected from the original laser direction, that would be possible, as long as the lens is far enough away from the BBO crystal wouldn't it?

But even if that's right, it still doesn't explain why the curve of D0 detections in Figure 4 doesn't materially vary by location. I would have expected it to be humped.

Likes Dadface
I think that the light that doesn't undergo SPDC is probably deflected by the Glan Thompson prism as are the entangled photons. This prism is not shown in the schematic of the Kim et al paper. Perhaps for the non SPDC photons the total deflection is not of the right value to reach the lens.
There is a a small variation in the Do curve the count rate seeming to decrease as the Do position increases. Perhaps this should be expected due to the slightly difference in distances travelled.
I also expected the curve to be humped and it is the apparent absence of this that prompted me to look at the numbers in the first place.
Thank you very much for your reply, it has given me more to think about.

Related to Delayed choice quantum eraser by Kim et al.

1. What is the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment by Kim et al.?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment, also known as the delayed choice quantum eraser, is a groundbreaking experiment in quantum mechanics that was conducted by physicists Sang-Yoon Kim, Ralph Metzler, and Anton Zeilinger in 1999. It is a variation of the famous double-slit experiment and aims to test the concepts of wave-particle duality and the role of observation in quantum systems.

2. How does the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam of photons is directed towards a double-slit apparatus, which splits the beam into two paths. The photons are then detected by two detectors, one at each end of the paths. A third detector is placed at one of the paths, which allows the researchers to observe the path of the photons. However, the choice to observe or not observe the photons is made after they have already passed through the double-slit, hence the term "delayed choice".

3. What were the results of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The results of the experiment showed that the behavior of the photons changed depending on whether or not they were observed. When the photons were not observed, they exhibited wave-like behavior and created an interference pattern on the final detection screen. However, when the photons were observed, the interference pattern disappeared and the photons behaved like particles, creating two distinct bands on the screen. This demonstrated the role of observation in determining the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What are the implications of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It challenges the traditional view that reality exists independently of observation and raises questions about the nature of time and causality in quantum systems. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. Has the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment been replicated or further studied?

Yes, the experiment has been replicated by various research groups and has also been further studied and expanded upon. One notable follow-up study was conducted by physicist Andrew Truscott in 2007, which showed that the delayed choice effect can also occur with atoms, not just photons. The experiment continues to be a topic of interest and research in the field of quantum mechanics.