Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Degrees of a Field Extension

shmounal

Feb 14, 2012
Hi,

I've been asked to find $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}, i ): \mathbb{Q} ]$, and to write down a basis.

Now I know that $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}, i ): \mathbb{Q} ] = 4$, and that a basis could be $ \left \{ 1, i, \sqrt{2}, i\sqrt{2}\right \} $ it is whether the way I am explaining how I arrived here is satisfactory explanation.

Utilising the tower law I want to find both $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}, i ): \mathbb{Q(\sqrt{2})} ]$ and $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}): \mathbb{Q} ]$ and multiply.

For $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}): \mathbb{Q} ] = 2$ as $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}) = [a+b\sqrt{2} | a,b \in \mathbb{Q}]$ so $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$ is a 2d vector space over $\mathbb{Q}$ with basis $\left \{1, \sqrt{2}\right \}$

I then use a similar argument for $[ \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}, i ): \mathbb{Q(\sqrt{2})} ] = 2$ in that $\mathbb{Q}(i)(\sqrt{2}) = [a+bi | a,b \in \mathbb{Q(\sqrt{2})}]$

and the rest follows. I'm not sure if this is enough to show it rigidly. Some of my friends have been using minimal polynomials to show the different degrees and I don't entirely follow the logic!

Any help appreciated!

xx

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Some of my friends have been using minimal polynomials to show the different degrees and I don't entirely follow the logic!

Certainly you should justify why $[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}): \mathbb{Q}]=2$ . As $\sqrt{2}\not\in \mathbb{Q}$ , then $[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}): \mathbb{Q}]>1$ , but $p(x)=x^2-2\in\mathbb{Q}[x]$ satisfies $p(\sqrt{2})=0$ , so $p(x)$ is the minimal polynomial of $\sqrt{2}$ and a basis of $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$ over the field $\mathbb{Q}$ is $\{(\sqrt{2})^0,(\sqrt{2})^1\}=\{1,\sqrt{2}\}$ . In the same way , $i\not\in\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$ , then ...

Last edited:

shmounal

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the help!! Think I understand now.

What I was doing only showed that the degree was 2 or more while finding the min polynomial says it must be exactly 2?

i.e. $p(x) = x^2 + 1 \in\mathbb{Q} (\sqrt{2})[x]$ satisfies $p(i) = 0$, ....

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
What I was doing only showed that the degree was 2 or more while finding the min polynomial says it must be exactly 2?
Right, that is the question.

i.e. $p(x) = x^2 + 1 \in\mathbb{Q} (\sqrt{2})[x]$ satisfies $p(i) = 0$, ....
Also right.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
another way to show that [Q(√2):Q] = 2 is to show that {1,√2} generate Q(√2), to do this, you need to prove that every element of Q(√2) is of the form a+b√2 (i.e. that the set of all such elements with a,b in Q does indeed form a field, and this field is contained in any field that contains Q and √2).

finding an irreducible polynomial of minimal degree is often easier, because of the isomorphism Q(√2) ≅ Q[x]/(x^2 - 2). note that proving x^2 - 2 is irreducible over Q is the same as showing √2 is irrational, something often glossed over as "obvious" and stated without proof. a similar consideration holds for i, and to be really nit-picky, showing x^2+1 is irreducible over Q(√2)[x] one ought to appeal to the fact that Q(√2) is a sub-field of the reals, which has no square roots of negative numbers (a consequence of being a totally ordered field).

when one has a cubic (or higher) extension, the polynomial approach really shines, because then one knows that successive powers of a root (up to one less than the degree of the minimal polynomial, in this case: 2, since we have a cubic) are linearly independent (or else the root would have a minimal polynomial of lesser degree). so the polynomial itself provides the basis.