Degree of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of degrees of freedom for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane. The equation used for this is DoF=Nn-k, where N represents the number of dimensions, n represents the number of particles, and k represents the number of constraints. The speaker considers the block of wood as a rigid body made of n particles and explains that it will move with respect to a center of mass. They determine that 3 points on the body are needed to define the center of mass, with 2 coordinate points for each point on the plane. They also mention that there will be 3 constraints if the points are non-collinear, resulting in 3 degrees of freedom. The other speaker questions
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

Find out the degrees of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane.

Homework Equations

DoF=Nn-k
N=no. of dimensions. n=no. of particles.k= no. of constraints.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering the block of wood as a rigid body made of n no. of particles.
But it will move with respect to a center of mass.
I will need 3 points on the body to define the CM.
As the body is constrained to move on a plane each of these 3 points can be denoted with 2 coordinate points.
Each of these 3 points has fixed distance from each other so there will be 3 constraints if these points are non collinear.
So i think the answer should be 3×2-3=3.
Are my deductions correct??
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have 2 dimensions. One particle with no constraints would have two degrees of freedom ? Not 4 (x, y, vx, vy) ?

I also don't quite follow how you need 3 points to define the CM. Wouldn't e.g. two corners be enough ? Could you explain ? (It may be correct, I just wonder)

Please BvU clarify one thing, should i consider the block of wood a rigid 3d body or a point particle??

It's a block of wood. To me that sounds closer to a rigid body than to a point particle.
You said you need three points to pinpoint the block. Why three ?

What is the basis for your relevant equation ? Does a particle on a plane with no further constraints have 2 degrees of freedom in your book ?

Your deductions are correct. The degree of freedom for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane is 3. This means that it can move in three independent directions on the plane. The three constraints, as you mentioned, are the fixed distance between the three points on the block, which restricts its movement to the plane. This is a common example in mechanics to demonstrate the concept of degrees of freedom.

Related to Degree of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane

What is the degree of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane?

The degree of freedom of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane is one, as it can only move in one direction along the plane.

How is the degree of freedom determined for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane?

The degree of freedom is determined by the number of independent variables that can affect the motion of the block. In this case, there is only one variable - the position of the block along the plane - so the degree of freedom is one.

Can the degree of freedom change for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane?

No, the degree of freedom remains constant for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane. As long as the block is on the same plane and the same surface, it can only move in one direction.

What is the significance of the degree of freedom for a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane?

The degree of freedom determines the number of independent variables that need to be considered when studying the motion of the block. In this case, only one variable needs to be taken into account - the position of the block - making the analysis simpler.

How does the degree of freedom affect the motion of a block of wood sliding on a horizontal plane?

Since the degree of freedom is one, the block can only move in one direction along the plane. This means that the block's motion is limited and predictable, making it easier to study and analyze.