Degenerate perturbation theory -- Sakurai

In summary, the author is explaining the time-independent perturbation theory calculations for the degenerate case. He states that there is a g-dimensional subspace of degenerate energy eigenstates of the unperturbed Hamiltonian and that the perturbation will remove the degeneracy and these states will split into g states with different energies. He introduces the projection operators P0 and P1 and projects the Schrodinger equation on the left by P1 to get the equation below to order ## lambda ##:-\lambda P1 V P0 |l\rangle + (E-H0-\lambda P1V)P1|l\rangle = 0.Then he substitutes the expansion ##
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading section 5.2 "Time-Independent Perturbation Theory: The Degenerate Case" of the book "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai and Napolitano and I have trouble with some parts of the calculations.
At firsts he explains that there is a g-dimensional subspace(which he calls D) of degenerate energy eigenstates of the unperturbed Hamiltonian which he calls ## \{|m^{0}\rangle\}##. Then he says that the perturbation will remove the degeneracy and these states will split into g states with different energies ## \{|l \rangle \} ## but if you let the perturbation parameter ## \lambda ## go to zero, you may end up with different states than ## \{|m^{0}\rangle\}##, let's call them ## \{|l^0 \rangle \} ##. Then he introduces the projection operators ## P_0 ## and ## P_1=1-P_0 ## where ## P_0 ## projects on the subspace spanned by ## \{|m^{0}\rangle\}##. Then he splits the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the ## \{|l \rangle \} ## states as below:

## 0=( E-H_0-\lambda V) |l\rangle=(E-E_D^{(0)}-\lambda V)P_0|l\rangle+( E-H_0-\lambda V)P_1 |l\rangle ##

Then he projects the above equation on the left by ## P_1 ## to get:

## -\lambda P_1 V P_0 |l\rangle+(E-H_0-\lambda P_1V)P_1|l\rangle=0 ##

Which after some manipulations, gives:

## P_1|l\rangle=P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}P_1 V P_0 |l\rangle ##.

Then he substitutes the expansion ## |l\rangle=|l^{(0)}\rangle+\lambda |l^{(1)}\rangle+ \dots ## into the above equation to get the equation below to order ## \lambda ##:

##\displaystyle P_1|l^{(1)}\rangle=\sum_{k \notin D} \frac{|k^{(0)} \rangle V_{kl}}{E_D^{(0)}-E_k^{(0)}} ##

But I don't understand how he got this. I just can't see what should be done!
One of the things that confuses me is that there is a ## \lambda ## in the denominator, so can we still say the order of each term just by counting the number of ## \lambda##s in the nominator? How should we account for the presence of ## \lambda ## in the denominator?

Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I will provide a way which I think rather heuristic because it will involve the use of approximation ##E\approx E_D^{(0)}##. Moreover, since ##\lambda## is assumed to be quite small for the perturbation method to work, the operator ##\frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}## is approximated to be ##\frac{\lambda}{E-H_0}##. If you want, you can approach this issue from a different perspective. Consider the power expansion of the denominator of ##\frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}## in ##\lambda##. Since we want to be working with the terms linear in ##\lambda##, one should only pick the zeroth term out of the expansion because there is already ##\lambda## in the numerator.
We will only care about the terms which contain ##\lambda##, therefore in the left hand side of
$$
P_1|l\rangle=P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}P_1 V P_0 |l\rangle
$$
substitute ##|l\rangle = \lambda | l^{(1)}\rangle## and in the right hand side of the above equation, substitute ##|l\rangle = |l^{(0)}\rangle## (this is so because we can be sure that the higher order terms in the expansion of ##|l\rangle## will only contribute to the terms nonlinear in ##\lambda##). Performing this step as well as incorporating the two approximations mentioned in the beginning, the above equation transforms to
$$
P_1|l^{(1)}\rangle=P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E_D^{(0)}-H_0}P_1 V P_0 |l^{(0)}\rangle
$$
The projection ##P_1## in the left most of the right hand side can be brought past ##\frac{\lambda}{E_D^{(0)}-H_0}## because they commute giving you ##P_1^2=P_1##. Using the fact that ##P_0 |l^{(0)}\rangle = |l^{(0)}\rangle## and ##P_1 = \sum_{k \notin D} |k^{(0)} \rangle \langle k^{(0)}|##, it should be pretty straightforward to see that the above equation will lead to the equation you wanted to prove.

Likes Vineyo and ShayanJ
I have another equation.
After the above calculations, the formula below is derived:
## (E-E_D^{(0)}-\lambda P_0 V P_0-\lambda^2 P_0 V P_1 \frac{1}{E-H_0-\lambda V} P_1 V P_0 )P_0 |l\rangle=0 ##.

Then its said that although there is a term of order ## \lambda^2 ## in the above formula, it actually produces a term of order ## \lambda ## in the state ## P_0 |l\rangle ##. I don't understand how this is possible!

I don't have the book and am not familiar with these perturbation calculations but ...

Evidently when applying P0 the perturbed energy E approaches H0 quickly as λ goes to 0. So, in that fourth term, divide numerator and denominator by λ. Then ignoring the P-V-P terms the numerator becomes λ, denominator becomes (E-H0)/λ - V. As λ -> 0, (E-H0)/λ must remain finite, so overall the term is O(λ), as the book says.

I guess.

Likes ShayanJ

Related to Degenerate perturbation theory -- Sakurai

1. What is degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system when the system's Hamiltonian (energy operator) is perturbed or changed slightly. It is specifically used when there are degenerate (equal) energy states in the unperturbed system.

2. Who is Sakurai and why is his name associated with degenerate perturbation theory?

Jun John Sakurai was a Japanese-American physicist known for his contributions to particle physics and quantum mechanics. He is credited with developing the formalism and equations for degenerate perturbation theory, which is why his name is associated with it.

3. When is degenerate perturbation theory used?

Degenerate perturbation theory is used when there are degenerate energy states in the unperturbed system. This means that there are multiple states with the same energy, making it difficult to determine the exact energy levels and wavefunctions without taking into account the perturbation.

4. How does degenerate perturbation theory differ from non-degenerate perturbation theory?

In non-degenerate perturbation theory, the energy states in the unperturbed system are non-degenerate, meaning they have distinct and different energies. In this case, the perturbation can be treated as a small correction to the energy levels and wavefunctions. However, in degenerate perturbation theory, the energy states are degenerate and the perturbation must be treated as a significant factor in the calculation of energy levels and wavefunctions.

5. What are the limitations of degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is limited to systems with degenerate energy states and cannot be applied to systems with non-degenerate states. It also assumes that the perturbation is small and does not significantly change the overall behavior of the system. Additionally, it may not be accurate for highly excited states or when there are large perturbations.