Degenerate Fermi Gas: Why is it Called Degenerate?

In summary, the term "degenerate" refers to all energy levels being taken below a certain level (the fermi energy). The calculations for a degenerate fermi gas often use classical-style methods for simplicity, but a fully quantum mechanical treatment is also possible. This is similar to using Newton's laws instead of Einstein's special relativity for dynamics. However, some may argue that the calculations for degenerate fermi gasses are still fully quantum mechanical in nature.
mkbh_10
Why is it called degenerate ??

Is it because all levels upto fermi level are filled or all degeneracies of the energy levels that are present occupied at T = 0k .

In deriving the average occupation no. for a deg fermi gas , we have used classical idea of momentum that is integrating over a sphere of p^2 dp , why not qntm mechanical operator form since this a quantum gas.

Also in calculating average N we have an integral of (E)^1/2 dE within limit 0 to Ef where Ef is fermi energy level , now while evaluating this we don't consider the E= 0 state i.e ground state because if we put 0 then avg N = 0 , what's the thought behind this ?

I had posted this in general section , got no reply , atleast someone reply here

Physics news on Phys.org
Degenerate just means all the energy levels below a certain level (the fermi energy) are taken. I don't know exactly why we use the term degenerate...but we do.

We use classical-style calculations for simplicity. You can do a fully quantum mechanical treatment of a degenerate gas; however, it's a lot more complicated. You can get a lot of insights by doing the classical treatment, and the approximations aren't all that bad.

It's analogous to using Newton's laws for dynamics instead of Einstein's special relativity. It's simpler and the answers aren't that bad.

Matterwave said:
We use classical-style calculations for simplicity. You can do a fully quantum mechanical treatment of a degenerate gas; however, it's a lot more complicated. You can get a lot of insights by doing the classical treatment, and the approximations aren't all that bad.
Where are the supposed classical bits? It all seems fully quantum mechanical to me.

Perhaps you are right and they are all QM. I may have been confused since I saw none of the regular QM "stuff" (e.g. wavefunctions, operators, bra-ket notation, etc) when dealing with degenerate Fermi gasses.

Related to Degenerate Fermi Gas: Why is it Called Degenerate?

1. What is a Degenerate Fermi Gas?

A Degenerate Fermi Gas is a state of matter in which a large number of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) have been cooled to extremely low temperatures, causing them to behave according to quantum mechanical principles.

2. Why is it called "Degenerate"?

The term "degenerate" refers to the fact that at extremely low temperatures, the particles in a Degenerate Fermi Gas have very little thermal energy and behave according to quantum degeneracy principles, rather than classical physics.

3. What is the significance of the term "Fermi" in Degenerate Fermi Gas?

The term "Fermi" refers to the Italian physicist Enrico Fermi, who first proposed the concept of a degenerate state of matter in 1926. Fermi's work laid the foundation for our understanding of the behavior of fermions at extremely low temperatures.

4. How is a Degenerate Fermi Gas different from a classical ideal gas?

A classical ideal gas follows the laws of classical physics, while a Degenerate Fermi Gas follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that the particles in a Degenerate Fermi Gas have discrete energy levels and obey the Pauli exclusion principle, while particles in a classical ideal gas can occupy the same energy level and do not obey the exclusion principle.

5. What are some real-world applications of Degenerate Fermi Gases?

Degenerate Fermi Gases have a wide range of applications, including in the study of high-temperature superconductors, the development of ultra-precise atomic clocks, and the creation of Bose-Einstein condensates for use in quantum computing and other technologies. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures.