Degeneracy removed when commuting observables are specified?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that two commuting operators have a complete set of common eigenfunctions. The concern is that the proof may not completely remove degeneracy when the largest set of commuting observables is considered. The authors may have forgotten to specify that ##A## and ##B## must be the only operators that commute for the degeneracy to be removed. This is only mentioned at the end of the discussion and may not be explicitly proven.
Happiness
The following is a proof that two commuting operators ##A## and ##B## possesses a complete set of common eigenfunctions. The issue I have with the proof is the claim that the eigenvalue ##a_n## together with the eigenvalue ##b_n## completely specify a particular simultaneous eigenfunction ##\phi_n^{(k)}## of ##A## and ##B##, so that when both operators are considered together the degeneracy is completely removed.

(5.99) may not have ##\alpha## distinct roots. If so, ##a_n## together with ##b_n## do not completely specify a particular simultaneous eigenfunction, since an eigenvalue ##b_n^{(k)}## may have more than one solution ##d_r^{(k)}## corresponding to it.

Furthermore, the last paragraph mentions that the degeneracy is completely removed when the largest set of commuting observables are considered. This implies that if ##A## and ##B## do not form the largest set of commuting observables, the degeneracy may not be not completely removed. So I believe the claim is not proved.

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 4.26.44 am.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 4.27.02 am.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. To quote Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloë, when they do a similar proof:
What we have just shown is that it is always possible to choose, in every eigenspace of A, a basis of eigenvectors common to A and B.
That's it. It does not necessarily lift the degeneracy, and often does not, hence the need for additional operators to build a C.S.C.O.

Likes Happiness
Happiness said:
The following is a proof that two commuting operators ##A## and ##B## possesses a complete set of common eigenfunctions. The issue I have with the proof is the claim that the eigenvalue ##a_n## together with the eigenvalue ##b_n## completely specify a particular simultaneous eigenfunction ##\phi_n^{(k)}## of ##A## and ##B##, so that when both operators are considered together the degeneracy is completely removed.

(5.99) may not have ##\alpha## distinct roots. If so, ##a_n## together with ##b_n## do not completely specify a particular simultaneous eigenfunction, since an eigenvalue ##b_n^{(k)}## may have more than one solution ##d_r^{(k)}## corresponding to it.

Furthermore, the last paragraph mentions that the degeneracy is completely removed when the largest set of commuting observables are considered. This implies that if ##A## and ##B## do not form the largest set of commuting observables, the degeneracy may not be not completely removed. So I believe the claim is not proved.

View attachment 93554
View attachment 93555
I guess the authors forgot to specify that ##A## and ##B## must be the only operators that commute within the system under consideration for the degeneracy that present in either of the two operators to be removed. Instead, they introduced the concept of CSCO when the discussion is almost over.

blue_leaf77 said:
I guess the authors forgot to specify that ##A## and ##B## must be the only operators that commute within the system under consideration for the degeneracy that present in either of the two operators to be removed. Instead, they introduced the concept of CSCO when the discussion is almost over.

How can we show that when ##A## and ##B## are the only operators that commute, the ##\alpha## roots in (5.99) are distinct in order for the degeneracy to be removed?

Ah I see your point. I didn't read the excerpt till the end so I thought that the proof that no further operator exist without destroying the commutativity between them was already given but not stated literally.

Related to Degeneracy removed when commuting observables are specified?

1. What is degeneracy and how does it affect observables?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where multiple states of a physical system have the same energy value. This can make it difficult to accurately measure or predict the behavior of the system. When commuting observables are specified, it means that the measurement of one observable does not affect the measurement of another observable. This removes the possibility of degeneracy and allows for more precise predictions of the system's behavior.

2. How do commuting observables relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Commuting observables are those that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other. This is in contrast to non-commuting observables, which cannot be measured simultaneously without affecting each other. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of non-commuting observables simultaneously. Therefore, specifying commuting observables helps to reduce uncertainty and improve the accuracy of measurements.

3. Can degeneracy be completely eliminated by specifying commuting observables?

No, degeneracy cannot be completely eliminated by specifying commuting observables. While this can reduce the likelihood of degeneracy, there are still certain systems where degeneracy cannot be completely eliminated. This is because there may be multiple commuting observables with the same energy value, leading to degeneracy.

4. How does the removal of degeneracy impact the study of quantum systems?

The removal of degeneracy by specifying commuting observables allows for more accurate predictions and measurements of quantum systems. This is especially important in the study of complex systems, where degeneracy can make it difficult to fully understand the behavior of the system. By removing degeneracy, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms of quantum systems.

5. Are there any drawbacks to specifying commuting observables?

While specifying commuting observables can be beneficial in many cases, there are also some limitations. In certain systems, it may not be possible to find commuting observables or to specify them accurately. This can limit the applicability of this approach in certain situations. Additionally, specifying commuting observables may not completely eliminate degeneracy, as mentioned earlier. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the specific system and its properties before using this method.