Why Does the Entropy Formula for a Fermionic Gas Include a Degeneracy Factor?

In summary, the conversation was about showing the entropy of a fermionic gas using the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the Fermi-Dirac statistics. The main topic was the use of the g_i factor in the equation and its purpose in accounting for the possibility of multiple states with the same energy. This factor is necessary for explaining the presence of the g_i term in the final expression for entropy.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The question asked me to show that the entropy of a fermionic gas is
##S = -k_B \Sigma_i (1-f_i)\ln(1-f_i) +f_i\ln(f_i)##

Using the Fermi-Dirac distribution so ##f_i = \frac{n_i}{g_i}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The number of microstates ##\Omega## is
##\Omega =## Π##\frac{g_i!}{n_i!(g_i-n_i)!}## and using ##S = k_B ln(\Omega)## I've arrived at the expression:
##S = -k_B \Sigma_i g_i (1-f_i)\ln(1-f_i) +f_i\ln(f_i)##
So there's an unwanted factor of ##g_i##. I'm told it is meant to be there, and I need to explain why it can be set to 1. Something to do with i being the state index and a quantum state can't be degenerate. Could someone explain that to me? Any help is much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kara386

First observation here is that you need some big brackets in your equations - for example in your first equation, the [itex]k_B[/itex] should be multiplying everything, not just the first term.

The business with the [itex]g_i[/itex] is just bookkeeping. In their formula they're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different states, and in your formula you're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different energies. Your formula includes a [itex]g_i[/itex] factor in it to allow for the possibility that there might be lots of states with the same energy.

Likes Kara386
Oxvillian said:
Hi Kara386

First observation here is that you need some big brackets in your equations - for example in your first equation, the [itex]k_B[/itex] should be multiplying everything, not just the first term.

The business with the [itex]g_i[/itex] is just bookkeeping. In their formula they're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different states, and in your formula you're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different energies. Your formula includes a [itex]g_i[/itex] factor in it to allow for the possibility that there might be lots of states with the same energy.
Thanks! I thought that might be it, because although originally the sum was over multiple states taken to be at the same energy, I think the introduction of the average ##f_i## allows the sum to be over individual states.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Why Does the Entropy Formula for a Fermionic Gas Include a Degeneracy Factor?

1. What is degeneracy in a Fermionic gas?

Degeneracy in a Fermionic gas refers to the number of available energy states for fermions, which are particles that obey the Pauli exclusion principle and have half-integer spin. This degeneracy is a result of the restriction on fermions to occupy the lowest available energy states, leading to a high number of particles occupying the same energy state.

2. How does degeneracy affect the properties of a Fermionic gas?

Degeneracy has a significant impact on the properties of a Fermionic gas. It affects the specific heat capacity, heat transfer, and electrical conductivity of the gas. Degeneracy also leads to the Fermi-Dirac statistics, which describe the behavior of fermions at low temperatures.

3. What is the relation between degeneracy and temperature in a Fermionic gas?

Degeneracy and temperature are inversely proportional in a Fermionic gas. As temperature decreases, the degeneracy of the gas increases, leading to a greater number of fermions occupying the same energy state. This relationship is a result of the Pauli exclusion principle, which restricts fermions to occupy the lowest available energy states at low temperatures.

4. How does degeneracy differ between fermions and bosons?

Degeneracy in fermions and bosons is significantly different due to their different quantum statistics. Fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which leads to a high degeneracy at low temperatures. In contrast, bosons follow Bose-Einstein statistics, which allows them to occupy the same energy state, leading to a lower degeneracy at low temperatures.

5. What are some real-world applications of degeneracy in Fermionic gases?

Degeneracy in Fermionic gases has several applications in the real world, including in superconductors and white dwarf stars. In superconductors, the high degeneracy of fermions allows for the flow of electrical current with zero resistance. In white dwarf stars, the high degeneracy of electrons supports the star against gravitational collapse, leading to a stable state.