Deformation of ball in elastic collision

In summary, to solve the given problem, we need to calculate the change in volume of the ball using the kinetic energy and work done to compress it against the internal pressure. Then, we can use this to find the fraction of the sphere's surface in contact with the floor. Using the formula for impulse and the change in momentum in an elastic collision, we can also calculate the time the ball is in contact with the floor and the peak force exerted on the floor.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

A soccer ball with radius R = 11 cm is inflated to a gauge pressure of 9×104 Pa. The ball is dropped onto and bounces elastically off of a hard smooth floor. Find approximate expressions for the surface area of the ball in contact with the floor, the amount of time the ball is in contact with the floor, and the peak force exerted on the floor, if the mass of the ball is 0.42 kg and it is dropped from a height of 0.1 m onto the floor.

Homework Equations

Potential energy of falling object [tex]mgh[/tex]

Conditions of perfectly elastic collision: [tex] \frac{mv_{i}^{2}}{2} = \frac{mv_{f}^{2}}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can calculate the change in volume of the ball by equation the kinetic energy of the ball on contact with the floor (equal to the original potential energy mgh) with the work done to compress the ball against the internal pressure i.e PdV.

After this I'm lost. How can I calculate the fraction of a spheres surface in contact with the flat surface and relate this to the change in volume?

I think if I knew this I might be able to calculate the time the ball is in contact with the surface by considering the change in momentum when the ball bounces back and then using the equation for impulse to work out the time scale for this relationship.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track with your approach! To calculate the fraction of the sphere's surface in contact with the floor, you can use the fact that the area of contact is equal to the change in volume divided by the radius of the sphere. This can be derived from the definition of a sphere's volume and surface area, or you can also use the formula for the volume of a spherical cap.

Once you have the area of contact, you can use the formula for impulse to find the time the ball is in contact with the floor. Remember that the impulse is equal to the change in momentum, and you can use the formula for the change in momentum in an elastic collision to find the peak force exerted on the floor.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Deformation of ball in elastic collision

1. What is the deformation of a ball in an elastic collision?

The deformation of a ball in an elastic collision refers to the temporary change in shape or size of the ball when it collides with another object. This deformation is caused by the transfer of energy between the colliding objects.

2. Why does the ball deform during an elastic collision?

The ball deforms during an elastic collision because of the force exerted on it by the object it collides with. This force causes the ball to temporarily compress or stretch, resulting in its deformation.

3. How does the elasticity of the ball affect its deformation in an elastic collision?

The elasticity of the ball plays a significant role in determining the amount of deformation it experiences during an elastic collision. A more elastic ball will deform less compared to a less elastic ball, as it can better absorb and transfer the energy from the collision.

4. Can the deformation of a ball in an elastic collision be reversed?

Yes, the deformation of a ball in an elastic collision can be reversed. This is because an elastic collision is a type of collision where the objects involved exchange energy but do not permanently deform or lose energy. Therefore, the ball will return to its original shape after the collision.

5. What factors can influence the amount of deformation in an elastic collision?

The amount of deformation in an elastic collision can be influenced by several factors, including the relative masses and velocities of the colliding objects, the elasticity of the objects, and the angle and direction of the collision. Other external factors such as temperature and air resistance may also play a role.