Deformation of a continuum element

In summary, the continuum element shown in Figure (a) deforms to figure (b). The positions after deformation (x coordinates) can be expressed in terms of E coordinates using the equations x1 = E1 + E2, x2 = E1 + E2, and x3 = E3. However, when the element deforms but stays in the same quadrant, the equations become x1 = E1cosa + E2sina, x2 = E1sina + E2cosa, and x3 = E3. The parameters E1, E2, and E3 refer to the position vector between material points A and B in the original configuration of the body, and m and n represent stretches in the
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

350qxj7.jpg

The continuum element shown in Figure (a) deforms to figure (b)

I'm looking to find the positions after deformation (x coordinates) by expressing them in terms of E coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x1 = E1 + E2
x2 = E1 + E2
x3 = E3

The first two equations for x I need help with, I'm not sure about the angles. I've done a previous question where the element deforms similarly (pure shear) but it stays within the same quadrant. The fact that this is flipped to the opposite quadrant is confusing me.

When the element deforms but stays in the same quadrant the answer is:

x1 = E1cosa + E2sina
x2 = E1sina + E2cosa
x3 = E3

ftd5ed.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What are E1, E2, and E3 supposed to be?

In your first figure, it doesn't look like the deformation is pure shear. Those parameters m and n look like stretches.

Chet

If the position vector between material points A and B is expressed as E1i in the original configuration of the body (figure a), and this vector stretches by an amount m to obtain the deformed configuration (figure b), what is the equation for the position vector between material points A and B in the deformed configuration?

Chet

However, in this case, since the element is flipped to the opposite quadrant, the angles will change. Assuming that the element is still deforming under pure shear, the equations would become:

x1 = E1cosa - E2sina
x2 = E1sina + E2cosa
x3 = E3

The first equation has a negative sign in front of the E2 term because the element is now being sheared in the opposite direction, causing a negative change in the x1 coordinate. The second equation remains the same because the element is still being sheared in the same direction, causing a positive change in the x2 coordinate. The third equation remains the same because there is no change in the x3 coordinate.

It is important to note that these equations are only valid for pure shear deformation and may not accurately represent the positions after deformation for other types of deformation. Additionally, the angles used in these equations may need to be adjusted depending on the specific orientation of the element before and after deformation. More complex deformations may require more equations to accurately represent the positions after deformation.

Related to Deformation of a continuum element

1. What is deformation of a continuum element?

Deformation of a continuum element is the change in shape or size of a small portion of a material when subjected to external forces or loads.

2. How is deformation measured?

Deformation is typically measured by calculating the strain, which is the ratio of the change in length or shape of the element to its original length or shape.

3. What factors affect the deformation of a continuum element?

The deformation of a continuum element is influenced by the type of material, the magnitude and direction of the external forces, and the temperature and pressure conditions.

4. What are the different types of deformation?

Deformation can be categorized as elastic, plastic, or viscous. Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, while plastic deformation is permanent. Viscous deformation occurs in materials that exhibit a fluid-like behavior.

5. How does deformation impact the mechanical properties of a material?

Deformation can affect the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and ductility. Excessive or repeated deformation can lead to material failure or fatigue.