Defintion of Total Differential

In summary, the (total) differential is a linearization of a function. This means that it is the nearest linear function to the original function, and it has the form dz(x,y;dx,dy)=u(x,y)dx+v(x,y)dy where u and v are the partial derivatives of f. Geometrically, dz represents the plane tangent to f at the point (x,y). One application of differentials is in estimating the change in a variable using the rates of change of other variables. The definition of differentials is not as precise as other concepts in calculus, but it is still important to understand how to use them.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I provided a snap-shot of the definition of a Total Differential, that my textbook provides. I am having difficulty grasping what this new quantity represents. Could someone help me?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
The (total) differential is a linearization of a function.
This means that given the (in general not linear) function Δz=f(x+dx,y+dy)-f(x,y)
dz is the nearest linear function having the form
dz(x,y;dx,dy)=u(x,y) dx + v(x,y) dy
where as it turns out u and v are the partial derivatives of f
u=fx
v=fy

Geometrically dy represents the plane tangent to f at the point (x,y)

The differential is the linear part of the relation between variables

One applications is that if dx and dy are small dz and Δz are approximately equal so one can be used to estimate the other. For example consider the volume of a torus

V(r,R)=(pi r^2)(2pi R)
dV=(2pi r)(2pi R)dr+(pi r^2)(2pi)dR
so we can estimate
V(1.01,10.1)-V(1,10)~(2pi*1)(2pi*10).01+(pi*1^2)(2pi).1~5.92176...
while
V(1.01,10.1)-V(1,10)=(pi*1.01^2)(2pi*10.1)-(pi*1^2)(2pi*10)~5.98118...

Last edited by a moderator:
I interpret these as the total rate of change given the rates of change of each variable.

Let f(x,y) = 2xy. If x changes at a rate of dx/dt and y changes at a rate of dy/dt, then f changes at a rate of

##df/dt = 2y \; dx/dt + 2x \; dy/dt##

If you leave off the dt's, you get

##df = 2y \; dx + 2x \; dy##

You can think of the df, dx, dy as having a hidden dt underneath. Dividing by dx, we get

##df/dx = 2y + 2x \; dy/dx##

This is consistent because, by the chain rule, df/dx = df/dt dt/dx = df/dt / (dx/dt). You can use these differentials like they are rates, with impunity really.

I defer to how individual courses or lecturers define these. As a default interpretation, this works.

This is to supplement what lurflurf said (because this is also how I think of the differential-if you ever end up going on to more advanced calculus then you will thank yourself for thinking of it in this geometric way i.e. via tangent planes because the abstraction in advanced calculus will be exactly based off of this geometric interpretation in terms of tangent planes): http://www.centerofmath.org/mc_pdf/sec2_3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashyboy said:
I provided a snap-shot of the definition of a Total Differential, that my textbook provides. I am having difficulty grasping what this new quantity represents.

Your difficulty is justified because the definition from the textbook merely states some terms that it does not define and specifies some notation for those undefined terms. When it comes to defining differentials in a calculus course, you are on your own to a great extent. Some good ideas have been suggested by other posters. (See also https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=701423)

In contrast to differentials, definitions of concepts such as [itex] Lim_{x \rightarrow a } f(x) = L [/itex] are given precise definitions in most texts and students are expected to know them and use them rigorously. Various hypocrisies are traditional in the teaching of mathematics. You don't get to complain about the definition of differentials as long as the textbook doesn't give any problems where you have to do a detailed proof that involves them.

Again dz is the unique function such that

$$\lim_{(dx,dy) \rightarrow 0} \frac{|dz-\Delta z|}{|(dx,dy)|}=\lim_{(dx,dy) \rightarrow 0} \frac{|dz-\Delta z|}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}=0$$
or by the chain rule
$$dz=\left. \dfrac{d}{dt}f(x+t \, dx,y+t \, dy) \right|_{t=0} \\
=\left. \left( \dfrac{\partial}{\partial (x+t \, dx)} f(x+t \, dx,y+t \, dy) \right) \dfrac{d}{dt}t \, dx \right|_{t=0}+\left. \left( \dfrac{\partial}{\partial (y+t \, dy)} f(x+t \, dx,y+t \, dy) \right) \dfrac{d}{dt}t \, dy \right|_{t=0} \\ = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x,y) \, dx + \dfrac{\partial}{\partial y} f(x,y) \, dy $$

All the epsilon-delta aficionados can just relax.

lurflurf said:
All the epsilon-delta aficionados can just relax.

LOL! Your first explanation was terrific and your second post complemented the point quite well. Good job :).

Related to Defintion of Total Differential

1. What is the definition of total differential?

The total differential is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to measure the change in a function that is caused by changes in multiple variables simultaneously. It is denoted by the symbol d and is calculated by taking the sum of the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, multiplied by the corresponding change in that variable.

2. Why is the total differential important in scientific research?

The total differential allows scientists to analyze how a particular outcome or dependent variable is affected by changes in multiple independent variables. This is crucial in scientific research, where many factors can influence a given phenomenon. By understanding the total differential, scientists can better understand the relationships between variables and make more accurate predictions.

3. How is the total differential used in real-world applications?

The total differential is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, economics, engineering, and biology. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the change in temperature as a function of distance and time. In economics, it is used to analyze how changes in interest rates, inflation, and other variables affect economic outcomes.

4. Can the total differential be negative?

Yes, the total differential can be negative. This means that the dependent variable is decreasing as one or more independent variables increase. In other words, the changes in the independent variables are having a negative impact on the dependent variable. However, the magnitude of the total differential (absolute value) can still be positive, indicating a significant change in the dependent variable.

5. What is the difference between total differential and partial differential?

The total differential takes into account changes in all independent variables, while the partial differential only considers changes in one variable while holding others constant. In other words, the total differential measures the overall change in a function, while the partial differential measures the sensitivity of the function to changes in a specific variable. Both concepts are important in understanding the behavior of functions in multivariate calculus and have various applications in scientific research.