Definition of second-countable

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the discussion revolved around the definition of a second countable space in topology. The initial definition presented used notations that were unclear and complicated. The expert suggested using a simpler definition, stating that a topological space is second countable if and only if it has a countable basis. The concept of a countable basis was also explained, and an example was given using the usual topology on ##\mathbb{R}## to illustrate the concept. The conversation concluded with a clarification that the specific mapping of sets in ##\mathcal{B}## to sets in ##\mathbb{N}## does not matter, as long as such an injection exists.
kent davidge
I'm taking some study notes on general math, one of the topics being topological spaces.

I've had a look at the definition of what is understandable by countable in Mathematics and I arrived at the following definition for what is a second countable space

- Consider a topological space ##(X, \tau)##

- Suppose that ##\tau = \cup_{i \ \in \ G \ \subseteq \ \mathbb{N}} \{\tau_i \}## and that for any ##i##, ##\{\tau_i \} = \cup_{i \ \in \ F \ \subset \ \mathbb{N}} \{\tau_j \}##. Then ##\tau## has a countable basis and ##(X, \tau)## is second-countable in the topology ##\tau##. (Note that ##G## may be the whole of ##\mathbb{N}## whereas ##F## has to be a subset of ##\mathbb{N}##.)

Is this definition ok?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not comprehend your notations:

First of all, a topological space is denoted with ##(X, \mathcal{T})##, so a couple instead of brackets. The brackets make it a set, while it should be an ordered pair.

What does the notation ##\mathcal{T} = \cup_{i \in G \subseteq \mathbb{N}}## even mean?

The definition I would use is:

A topological space ##(X, \mathcal{T})## is second countable if and only if it has a countable basis.

Math_QED said:
I do not comprehend your notations:

First of all, a topological space is denoted with ##(X, \mathcal{T})##, so a couple instead of brackets. The brackets make it a set, while it should be an ordered pair.

What does the notation ##\mathcal{T} = \cup_{i \in G \subseteq \mathbb{N}}## even mean?

The definition I would use is:

A topological space ##(X, \mathcal{T})## is second countable if and only if it has a countable basis.
Sorry. I've edited my post since then.

kent davidge said:
Sorry. I've edited my post since then.

Who says that you can index the topology ##\mathcal{T}## with a subset of ##\mathbb{N}##? What if the topology contains uncountably many elements? I still think I don't get what you are trying to say.

Just use the definition I gave you. You are making things needlessly complicated!

Math_QED said:
Who says that you can index the topology ##\mathcal{T}## with a subset of ##\mathbb{N}##? What if the topology contains uncountably many elements?
What I mean is the topology is composed of the open sets ##\{\tau_i \}## their union with the index running over a subset of the naturals or the whole of the naturals is equal to the topology. Is'nt this correct?

Math_QED said:
Just use the definition I gave you. You are making things needlessly complicated!
I have already seen that definition. But then I would ask what is a countable basis. To put another way, I don't like stopping on that definition because I want a more clear one.

kent davidge said:
What I mean is the topology is composed of the open sets ##\{\tau_i \}## their union with the index running over a subset of the naturals or the whole of the naturals is equal to the topology. Is'nt this correct?I have already seen that definition. But then I would ask what is a countable basis. To put another way, I don't like stopping on that definition because I want a more clear one.

I still don't quite understand what you mean with your first question. Can you try to write the usual topology on ##\mathbb{R}## as a countable (I.e. indexing set is subset of positive integers) union?

A countable basis is simply a basis that is countable, i.e:

There exists ##\mathcal{B}\subseteq \mathcal{T}## such that

##\mathcal{B}## is a basis: for every ##G \in \mathcal{T}##, there exists ##\mathcal{A} \subseteq \mathcal{B}: G = \bigcup \mathcal{A}##

##\mathcal{B}## is countable: There exists an injection ##\mathcal{B} \to \mathbb{N}##

Math_QED said:
Can you try to write the usual topology on ##\mathbb{R}## as a countable (I.e. indexing set is subset of positive integers) union?
Well, yes. The open sets are given by ##(-i,i)## where ##i \in \mathbb{N}##.

And ya, it seems that we cannot write the usual topology using a subset of ##\mathbb{N}## for the index. Yet, ##\mathbb{R}## is second-countable.

kent davidge said:
Well, yes. The open sets are given by ##(-i,i)## where ##i \in \mathbb{N}##.

No, this is completely wrong. ##(-1/2,1)## is an open set that you didn't include, ##(1,2) \cup (3,4)## is another one.

You gave an open cover of ##\mathbb{R}##

Math_QED said:
No, this is completely wrong. ##(-1/2,1)## is an open set that you didn't include, ##(1,2) \cup (3,4)## is another one.

You gave an open cover of ##\mathbb{R}##
Oh yes, that's right.

Math_QED said:
##\mathcal{B}## is countable: There exists an injection ##\mathcal{B} \to \mathbb{N}##
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? The possible injections map the sets in ##\mathcal{B}## into sets in ##\mathbb{N}##, correct? How should the mappings be carried out?

kent davidge said:
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? The possible injections map the sets in ##\mathcal{B}## into sets in ##\mathbb{N}##, correct? How should the mappings be carried out?
Consider the endpoints of your intervals, indexing them with a countable set.

kent davidge said:

It doesn't matter how the map looks like. It matters that it exists (or not). And yes, such an injection will map no two different sets in ##\mathcal{B}## to the same natural number.

Related to Definition of second-countable

What is the definition of second-countable?

The definition of second-countable is a topological space in which there exists a countable base for the open sets. This means that the open sets in the space can be written as a union of countably many basis elements.

How is second-countability related to compactness?

Second-countability is a necessary condition for a topological space to be compact. This means that if a space is second-countable, it is also compact. However, the reverse is not always true - a compact space may not necessarily be second-countable.

What is the significance of a countable base in a topological space?

A countable base in a topological space allows for a more structured understanding of the open sets in the space. It also simplifies proofs and calculations involving open sets, making it easier to analyze and work with the space.

Can a non-second-countable space be topologically equivalent to a second-countable space?

Yes, it is possible for a non-second-countable space to be topologically equivalent to a second-countable space. This means that although the two spaces may have different constructions, they have the same topological properties and behave in a similar manner.

What are some examples of second-countable spaces?

Some examples of second-countable spaces include the real line, Euclidean spaces, and the unit interval. Other examples include the Cantor set, the Sierpinski carpet, and the Tychonoff plank. These spaces are commonly used in mathematical analysis and topology.