Definition of H in pulley diagram

In summary, the formula for $H$ where $\ell$ is the length of the rope is $\left(\ell - \frac{b}{\sin\theta}\right)$ because $\frac{b}{\sin\theta}$ represents the length of the diagonal stretch of the rope. Additionally, the conversation also mentions the creation of pictures using tikz and the use of Latex to create PDFs for math notes.
Dustinsfl
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Why can $H = \left(\ell - \frac{b}{\sin\theta}\right)$ where $\ell$ is the length of the rope.
Because $\frac{b}{\sin\theta}$ is the length of the diagonal stretch of the rope.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Because $\frac{b}{\sin\theta}$ is the length of the diagonal stretch of the rope.

Due to all your help prior with tikz, I have been making pictures like this and better since last summer.

Glad to hear that. The picture looks nice!

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Glad to hear that. The picture looks nice!

If you check out the math notes section and look at the pdfs I created, you will some more Latex pictures I created from what I learned from you.

Related to Definition of H in pulley diagram

1. What is the definition of H in a pulley diagram?

H in a pulley diagram refers to the height of the pulley. It is the vertical distance between the center of the pulley and the point where the rope or cable wraps around it.

2. Why is H important in a pulley diagram?

H is important because it determines the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. It also affects the direction and distance of the force required to move the load.

3. How is H measured in a pulley diagram?

H is typically measured in inches or centimeters using a ruler or measuring tape. It can also be calculated using trigonometry if the angle of the rope or cable is known.

4. Does H change if the pulley is rotated?

No, H remains the same regardless of the orientation of the pulley. As long as the distance between the center of the pulley and the point where the rope or cable wraps around it does not change, H will remain constant.

5. Can H be negative in a pulley diagram?

Yes, H can be negative if the pulley is located below the starting point of the rope or cable. This means that the height of the pulley is below the point where the load is being lifted, and the force required to move the load will be directed downwards instead of upwards.