Definition of boundary point and equation

In summary, if x is a boundary point of C\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}, then there exists a sequence \{x_{k}\} with x_k \in C such that \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}x_{k} = x. This is guaranteed by the definition of a boundary point, which states that a neighborhood of x contains at least one point of C and at least one point of \mathbb{R}^{n}\C. However, the explicit structure of the sequence is not specified.
wayneckm
Hello all,Suppose [tex]C\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex], if [tex]x \in \text{bd}\;C[/tex] where [tex]\text{bd}[/tex] denotes the boundary, a sequence [tex]\{x_{k}\}[/tex] can be found such that [tex]x_{k} \notin \text{cl}\;C[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}x_{k} = x[/tex].

The existence of such sequence is guaranteed by the definition of boundary point, of which a neighborhood contains at least one point of [tex]C[/tex] and at least one point of [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n}\C[/tex]. (Explicit structure of the sequence is no longer our task...if you want, find it yourself...?)

Is my explanation right? Thanks.Wayne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean by boundary that the point that can not be separated from R^n or the set C by open sets then this seems to work.

What about saying that every open neighborhood of the point has non-empty intersection with the set C and with the complement of its closure? Does that say the same thing?

As a general comment, that result is true for all 1st-countable spaces ( it is actually
an iff) result, in that continuity is equivalent to sequential continuity.

Bacle said:
As a general comment, that result is true for all 1st-countable spaces ( it is actually an iff) result, in that continuity is equivalent to sequential continuity.
Nope, it is not iff. The result that continuity is equivalent to seq. continuity even holds in a Sequential space. Every 1st countable space is a seq. space, but not conversely (wikipedia gives the example "take the real line R and identify the set Z of integers to a point.")

See also this interesting article, which has the useful diagram

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2064/sequentialspace.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we may be talking about slightly different things (I may have misread --and misunderestimated : -- the statement of the problem) ). What I mentioned was the sequence lemma:

For X a topological space and if A<X , then x is in Cl(A) iff there is a sequence
of points in A that converge to x.

In this case, this is an iff result with 1st countability.

Yes, I misunderstood you. I thought you claimed that "continuity is equivalent to sequential continuity" is equivalent to "the space being 1st countable".

You are right that that result about closure and sequences is an iff result in a 1st countable space. We can do even better: this is an iff result in a sequential space (so my post was not completely off topic :) )

wayneckm said:
Hello all,

Suppose [tex]C\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex], if [tex]x \in \text{bd}\;C[/tex] where [tex]\text{bd}[/tex] denotes the boundary, a sequence [tex]\{x_{k}\}[/tex] can be found such that [tex]x_{k} \notin \text{cl}\;C[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}x_{k} = x[/tex].

The existence of such sequence is guaranteed by the definition of boundary point, of which a neighborhood contains at least one point of [tex]C[/tex] and at least one point of [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n}\C[/tex]. (Explicit structure of the sequence is no longer our task...if you want, find it yourself...?)

Is my explanation right? Thanks.

Wayne

?

Let C := R^n \ {0} and let x := 0.

Then x is in the boundary of C, but no sequence satisfying your criteria exists.

some_dude said:
?

Let C := R^n \ {0} and let x := 0.

Then x is in the boundary of C, but no sequence satisfying your criteria exists.

Thanks all comments so far.

So shall I include a restriction that [tex]\text{cl} C \neq \mathbb{R}[/tex]?

wayneckm said:
Thanks all comments so far.

So shall I include a restriction that [tex]\text{cl} C \neq \mathbb{R}[/tex]?

No, it still wouldn't work: e.g., let C = { x in R^n : |x| < 1 } \ {0}, the unit disk with the origin removed, and the same thing applies.

Just replace the requirement "[tex]x_k \notin \overline{C}[/tex]" with "[tex]x_k \notin C[/tex]" (overline denoting closure).

I think you mean [tex]x_k\in C[/tex] instead of [tex]x_k\notin C[/tex]

Related to Definition of boundary point and equation

1. What is a boundary point?

A boundary point is a point on the edge or boundary of a set or region. It can be defined as a point where every neighborhood of the point contains both points inside and outside of the set or region.

2. How is a boundary point different from an interior point?

An interior point is a point that lies inside a set or region, while a boundary point lies on the edge or boundary of the set or region. In other words, an interior point only has points from the set in its neighborhood, while a boundary point has points from both inside and outside the set in its neighborhood.

3. Can a boundary point be an element of the set?

Yes, a boundary point can be an element of the set. This is because a boundary point can be both inside and outside of the set, so it is possible for it to be included in the set.

4. How do you determine if a point is a boundary point?

A point is considered a boundary point if every neighborhood of the point contains both points inside and outside of the set or region. This can be checked by looking at the points around the given point and determining if they all fall into either the set or the complement of the set.

5. What is the significance of boundary points in mathematics?

Boundary points play a crucial role in defining the boundary of a set or region. They help to determine the limits of a set and can also aid in understanding the properties and behavior of a set. In calculus, boundary points are important in the definition of limits and continuity, and in topology, they are used to define open and closed sets.