Definition of a derivative - absolute value

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the derivative, specifically in the context of the function $\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}$. It is shown that the function is only defined for values of $x>0$, and therefore it is undefined for values of $x\le 0$. This is demonstrated through the use of limits and setting $h=0$. One person initially asks why $x$ is assumed to be greater than 0, but then realizes that it is because the function is only defined for positive values of $x$. The conversation ends with a clarification about the function being undefined for values of $x\le 0$.
Dethrone
\(\displaystyle \d{}{x}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\) by the definition of the derivative.

$$\lim_{{h}\to{0}}\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+h}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}}{h}=\lim_{{h}\to{0}}\frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x+h}}{h\sqrt{x^2+2xh}}=\lim_{{h}\to{0}}\frac{x-(x+h)}{h\sqrt{x^2+2xh}\left(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+h}\right)}$$

Setting $h=0$:

$$=\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{x^2}(\sqrt{x})}$$

Question is why do we assume $x>0$?

EDIT: Wait. dumb question, $x$ is only defined for $x>0$ (Headbang)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
EDIT: Wait. dumb question, $x$ is only defined for $x>0$ (Headbang)

$x$? Or \(\displaystyle \frac 1{\sqrt x}\)? :rolleyes:

The latter. But I meant, the value of $x$ in the latter is defined only for $x>0$.

Rido12 said:
The latter. But I meant, the value of $x$ in the latter is defined only for $x>0$.

Hmm. Since $\frac{1}{\sqrt{-1}}$ is not defined in the real numbers, does that mean that $-1$ is not defined? (Thinking)

What I said: "The value of $x$ in the function is undefined." What I meant to say: "The function is undefined when it takes on the value of $x\le 0$." (Tmi)

Rido12 said:
What I said: "The value of $x$ in the function is undefined." What I meant to say: "The function is undefined when it takes on the value of $x\le 0$." (Tmi)

Hold on... (Wondering)
... if the function takes on a value (apparently $\le 0$), how can it be undefined? (Devil)

I like Serena said:
Hold on... (Wondering)
... if the function takes on a value (apparently $\le 0$), how can it be undefined? (Devil)

Because our original function is $\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}$, where the function is only defined for values of $x>0$.
If the problem is because of the clarity of my phrase, I give up. (Doh)

Rido12 said:
Because our original function is $\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}$, where the function is only defined for values of $x>0$.
If the problem is because of the clarity of my phrase, I give up. (Doh)

You finally got it right!
Good! (Whew)

Related to Definition of a derivative - absolute value

1. What is the definition of a derivative for absolute value functions?

The derivative of an absolute value function is the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point.

2. How is the derivative of an absolute value function calculated?

The derivative of an absolute value function is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0.

3. What is the significance of the absolute value in the definition of a derivative?

The absolute value represents the direction of change in the function. It ensures that the derivative is always positive, regardless of the direction of change in the function.

4. Can the derivative of an absolute value function be negative?

No, the derivative of an absolute value function is always positive, as the absolute value represents the magnitude of change, not its direction.

5. How is the definition of a derivative for absolute value functions used in real-world applications?

The definition of a derivative for absolute value functions is used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and marginal cost.