Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Definition Checking. Manifold and Diffeos.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB,
I have been reading some literature on manifolds, I recently changed the text book I was reading from and because of that things have gotten pretty messy. I have tried my best to extract the definitions from the text I am reading. Please tell me which ones I have got right and which ones I have not.
Thanks.

Definition 1.

Let $f:\mathbb R^n\to \mathbb R^m$ be a function, $x$ be a point in $\mathbb R^n$ and $r>0$ be an integer. Then $f$ is said to be of class $C^r$ at $x$ if all the partial derivatives of $f$ of order $r$ exist and are continuous at $x$. If $f$ if of class $C^r$ at each point in a subset $A\subseteq \mathbb R^n$ then we say that $f$ is of class $C^r$ in $A$. A continuous function is also said to be a $C^0$-function.

Definition 2.
Let $U$ and $V$ be open sets in $\mathbb R^n$. A function $h:U\to V$ is said to be a diffeomorphism, or a $C^0$-diffeomorphism, if $h$ is differentiable and has a differentiable inverse. For $r>0$, a diffeomorphism $h:U\to V$ is said to be of class $C^r$ if both $h$ and $h^{-1}$ are of class $C^r$.

Definition 3.
A subset $M$ of $\mathbb R^n$ is said to be a $k$-dimensional manifold of class $C^r$ in $\mathbb R^n$ if for all $x\in M$ there exist open sets $U$ and $V$ in $\mathbb R^n$ and a diffeomorphism $h:U\to V$ of class $C^r$ such that $x\in U$ and $$h(U\cap M)=V\cap (\mathbb R^k\times\{0\})$$

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
I have skimmed through the definitions; everything seems alright to me. I haven't ever formally tried to understand the definitions so certainly there could be something small missing in these which I haven't noticed.**

** As I happen to be a Number Theorist, I never tried that much hard to grasp topology to research level.

Balarka

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I have skimmed through the definitions; everything seems alright to me. I haven't ever formally tried to understand the definitions so certainly there could be something small missing in these which I haven't noticed.**

** As I happen to be a Number Theorist, I never tried that much hard to grasp topology to research level.

Balarka
Thank you mathbalarka for the heads up.

I guess number theory has benefited from topological ideas too. May be I am wrong. Wiles' proof of Fermat's Last theorem relied on Algebraic geometry. There's also a branch of math called the 'geometry of numbers' which is about number theoretic results using geometrical ideas. Since topology and geometry are like brothers and sisters, I guess topology should have something to contribute to number theory.

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
caffeinemachine said:
I guess number theory has benefited from topological ideas too.
That is true indeed. Arithmetic topology is just the thing you mentioned, a mixture of algebraic NT and Topology but unfortunately, not my fields of research in general. I usually study analytic number theory.

caffeinemachine said:
Wiles' proof of Fermat's Last theorem relied on Algebraic geometry.
Algebraic geometry of elliptic curves-like structures (which has been used by Wiles) has very less to do with topology as I understood it. Maybe topological algebraic geometry is something you might refer to?

caffeinemachine said:
There's also a branch of math called the 'geometry of numbers' which is about number theoretic results using geometrical ideas.
Yes, yes, I am familiar with that branch. Indeed, there are several important results on that area which relies on basic results from Topology.

PS Perhaps we should discuss these in another thread?

Balarka

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hello MHB,
I have been reading some literature on manifolds, I recently changed the text book I was reading from and because of that things have gotten pretty messy. I have tried my best to extract the definitions from the text I am reading. Please tell me which ones I have got right and which ones I have not.
Thanks.

Definition 1.

Let $f:\mathbb R^n\to \mathbb R^m$ be a function, $x$ be a point in $\mathbb R^n$ and $r>0$ be an integer. Then $f$ is said to be of class $C^r$ at $x$ if all the partial derivatives of $f$ of order $r$ exist and are continuous at $x$. If $f$ if of class $C^r$ at each point in a subset $A\subseteq \mathbb R^n$ then we say that $f$ is of class $C^r$ in $A$. A continuous function is also said to be a $C^0$-function.

Definition 2.
Let $U$ and $V$ be open sets in $\mathbb R^n$. A function $h:U\to V$ is said to be a diffeomorphism, or a $C^0$-diffeomorphism, if $h$ is differentiable and has a differentiable inverse. For $r>0$, a diffeomorphism $h:U\to V$ is said to be of class $C^r$ if both $h$ and $h^{-1}$ are of class $C^r$.

Definition 3.
A subset $M$ of $\mathbb R^n$ is said to be a $k$-dimensional manifold of class $C^r$ in $\mathbb R^n$ if for all $x\in M$ there exist open sets $U$ and $V$ in $\mathbb R^n$ and a diffeomorphism $h:U\to V$ of class $C^r$ such that $x\in U$ and $$h(U\cap M)=V\cap (\mathbb R^k\times\{0\})$$
Hi caffeinemachine,

Your definitions look fine to me.

However, I do consider your definition 3 rather limited, although it is correct within its restrictions.
I am used myself that a manifold is defined by a set of charts (called an atlas) that map $\mathbb R^k$ to some unspecified set $\mathcal M$ which is the manifold. The charts have to be homeomorphisms.

In your definition you are restricting the manifold (unnecessarily) to $\mathbb R^n$ with furthermore the artificial restriction that the domain and image of the charts are subsets of that same $\mathbb R^n$.

Visually, what I mean looks like this:

Where the charts overlap, there needs to be a diffeomorphism between the charts.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hi caffeinemachine,

Your definitions look fine to me.

However, I do consider your definition 3 rather limited, although it is correct within its restrictions.
I am used myself that a manifold is defined by a set of charts (called an atlas) that map $\mathbb R^k$ to some unspecified set $\mathcal M$ which is the manifold. The charts have to be homeomorphisms.

In your definition you are restricting the manifold (unnecessarily) to $\mathbb R^n$ with furthermore the artificial restriction that the domain and image of the charts are subsets of that same $\mathbb R^n$.

Visually, what I mean looks like this:

Where the charts overlap, there needs to be a diffeomorphism between the charts.
Thank you ILS for this great help.

I am reading Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds and there the author doesn't discuss arbitrary manifolds. I guess it is better for me to stick with this for the time being and later when I use Lee'd book to study manifolds then I can go for the more abstract and more general approach to study manifolds.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I would like to point out that if it is a diffeomorphism then $r \geq 1$ in your definition 2. Otherwise it is going to be a homeomorphism.