What is the Meaning of Life for the Universe?

• Thread starter chosenone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses different perspectives on the meaning of life. Some believe that life has a set meaning that we must discover, while others question if there is any purpose at all. The idea is brought up that perhaps we are just part of God's existence, and that our purpose is to be the meaning of life for others in their own universes. However, the idea is also challenged that life is just a game for God to pass the time, and that it is not a very entertaining or fulfilling one.
Originally posted by drag
The meaning of existence is 42... :wink:
Now, what's the question ?

I just learned that the other day.
The question is : What is infinity - infinity?

And I wagered 10,000 by the way. Alex Trebec: pay me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Deslaar
What is 6 multiplied by 7?
Naah... that's too easy !
We need something complicated and undefinable
that will sell... :wink:

How about: "How many roads can a man take ?"

Last edited:
the meaning of life is for us to ask what the meaning of life is.so when we ask each other.we B.S. with each other because we all don't know what it is.so then we assume god or the universe knows because it created us.but we can't get an answer from god or the universe.so where right back where we started,asking each other what we think the meaning of life is!

Meaning of Life

Perhaps the meaning of life is the meaning we GIVE it...

The meaning I give it starts off with a basic premise: that the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that goes from incarnation to incarnation (via Big Bang, Big Crunch, etc.) for the purpose of HAVING AN EXPERIENCE...a very complex one that includes the life experiences of everything that has, is or will ever live in THIS --plus past and future -- incarnations.

If I want to add a little MORE meaning, I could say that It's out the "evolve" -- perhaps spiritually -- via our (and other beings') life choices and consequences.

I might even add that, if the Universe had a Primary Question at the moment of every Big Bang, it might be: "What can I create THIS time?"

I do not believe there is an "outside forces ("God") that "created" the Universe. I believe the Universe is an eternal entity of energy that lives to think, feel, act and create...among other things.

my answer to this question is to consistently remember that we are spirits living in a material world...

Madonna, Hello.

"Yes, we are living in a material world..."

...and we're "here" for a reason.

I do not believe that "God" is an "outsider" -- as I've established above. Further, I do not believe "God created souls" whole and "perfect".

I believe that "spiritual forces" that correspond to natural forces in the physical realm, caused "spirits" to ACCRETE over time, and that we, as spirit, are EVOLVING.

And while the "stuff" of spirit is eternal, not all of us "make it"...there is "waste" in every system. But, eventually, when the next "Big Crunch" comes, all the spiritual stuff (including those that hung together as "cohesive chunks of spirit") will all "come together" into a singularity (again) before bursting forth into the next incarnation of the Universe.

Meanwhile, the physical realm provides a CONTEXT for spirits to interact, to make good decisions, bad decisions, experience consequence, learn compassion, etc...all as part of the evolution of the Universe Itself.

And, it is probably a natural function of the Eternal Entity of Energy that is the Universe, to have some of Its energy "freeze down" to form a physical plane, where the "spirits" it gives rise to in each incarnation of Itself has a "stage" on which to live its particular "drama".

Or am I a nut?

Originally posted by M. Gaspar
"Yes, we are living in a material world..."

actually that is a quote coming from The Police:wink:

Originally posted by Kerrie
my answer to this question is to consistently remember that we are spirits living in a material world...

And yet, are we not (in your conception of existence) also physical beings? If so, why is it that we are in a "material" world? Why isn't the world also spiritual as well as physical?

actually that is a quote coming from The Police:wink:

Are you sure about that? Well, I guess it's off-topic, so I'll leave it alone.

Greetings !
Originally posted by Mentat
Are you sure about that?
Actually, it's Madonna. But, it IS off-topic
so I guess I should stop boosting the
post count in vain...
Or am I a nut?
Don't be so hard on yourself...:wink:
I guess I'm the spirit that didn't make it...:smile:

On a more serious note, in my opinion, beliefs -
although they may inforce plausible visions
of the meaning of life and of how to live life,
overall do more damage than is avoided by the
lack of any. If not direct for some religions
then indirect for others.

Live long and prosper.

You can't hurt the Universe, I think.

DRAG: What damage do I do myself to think that the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that's responsive to all of its parts?

...or any of the other of my "rediculous notions"...as someone once told me (briefly set forth on this and other threads).

True, I believe some "beliefs" are "harmful"...the belief, for instance, that someone died for you so that you can make all the mistakes you want.

I believe in self-redemption. I believe in taking action. I believe I'm a force in the Universe...but not the only one.

Are all "beliefs" "harmful".

Please expound.

Greetings M. Gaspar !
[BDRAG: What damage do I do myself to think that the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that's responsive to all of its parts?
I'm sorry, but I wasn't adressing you in particular -
it was more of a general statement.

The problem with beliefs is that some of the
people that have them often try to convince each
other they are true. Since these are beliefs
they ussualy fail at some time during the
convincing part which sometimes leads to conflict.
(Again, this is a general statement not aimed at
anyone in particular.)

Live long and prosper.

correction:

We are spirits living in the material world is a song by Sting...NOT by Madonna, I am sure most of you have heard this song, just don't realize it...

correction:

We are spirits living in the material world is a song by Sting...NOT by Madonna, I am sure most of you have heard this song, just don't realize it...

Yes, but when the poster said "we are living in a material world...", one assumes (because of his/her reference to Madonna) that afterward would follow "... and I am a material girl" - and would thus be a quote from a famous Madonna song.

i can't stand madonna...

...his/her...
You dissapoint me Mentat.
i can't stand madonna...

The line by the Police (the audible part anyway) goes "We are spirits... in the material world",
the one by Madonna goes " We are living in a material world"

You dissapoint me Mentat.

Well, I guess one could assume that the member would be male, given the name M. Gasper. However, I'm never sure (there are some strange people out there), so courtesy requires that I don't assume any gender for the member, until informed of what their actual gender is.

Well, I guess one could assume that the member would be male, given the name M. Gasper. However, I'm never sure (there are some strange people out there), so courtesy requires that I don't assume any gender for the member, until informed of what their actual gender is.
You misunderstood me - it was I who mentioned
Madonna in the first place so I assumed you
were adressing me. :wink:

The universe as we know it has been slowed down from its actual speed giving us time to explore the god set boundries in which we call space. We have evolved from dolphins who stranded themselves on shores purposely to create land capable beings of their kind.

Netme

Yes, we all need more time.

You misunderstood me - it was I who mentioned
Madonna in the first place so I assumed you
were adressing me. :wink:

I see. I was referring to M. Gaspar though. I don't call you a he/she (even though I don't have any conclusive statement of your gender) :wink: .

I play the drums and I'll only listen to heavy metal.but eminem the new rock rap is alright only because just like ice tea when he did body count.a black rapper tried to bridge the gap between rock and rap by doing rock.it was his way of stopping racism.because the war between rock and rap,is just another way for people to have another way of keeping racism alive through music instead of doing it directly.so eminem is sort of doing the same thing trying to be a white person doing rap.and he might just make it.anyway back to the post topic.would'nt it be cool if we where all the reincarnation of the dinosaurs,and for 1 billion years our souls have been advancing through time to this point,living again and again.till human form came into existence,we final understood what it meant to be aware of the universe from primal animals,spiritually i mean!

Say what...?

Are we off topic here?

The "meaning of life' might be the meaning we GIVE it...

so...?

Well like i originally posted that started this thread was that the meaning of life,is to be the meaning of life of another being,as part of his existence."god".were what god does to kill time,create us.our thoughts,our lives,everthing we think,do,and are,are his to do,for us, as we do them,as he does them for us,so ever time you ask what the meaning of life is!he's making you ask.and when your done asking,did he give you and answer?

Last edited:
so do you think when poeple ask what the meaning of life is,they expect an answer?NO.so why do we ask?their just awed at they awareness of life,and don't have an explanation for it.so they spend their time pursueing science and philosophy,or theology,in a attempt to find the answers.they hope science can explain how life could be formed randomlly on a planet.or prove God exists.And if science can explain it,theirs still not answer,because you can't answer WHY,in the first place.If God exist then that's just the first question answers,how and why we exist,but then the next question is how did he come into existence.was there a begining,or has he always been?so even if we prove God exist,will we have a answer to these question?I guess god can only answer that!

If all which exists was created and god exists, then he must have been created - - - as must have been any predecessors.

This kind of chicken and the egg redundancy implies no logical 'beginning'.

If you argue god was not subject to the laws of nature, you are discarding logic entirely.

Creation is, simply, a process cause and effect.

Why do you believe the phenomenon of existence is based on a process?

Mankind tends to personify the nature of the Universe. Since life has a beginning and an end, it is assumed the Universe must also have had a beginning.

This is not logic.

You don't know what your talking about..

Netme...

None of us do.

It's all speculation.

what i believe

this is to what i believe.
there is more then one god.
we are here for a reason. everything happens for a reason.
there are extraterrestial life in outer space.
there is more then one universe.

Any other God,is just God with another name.So when looking for an answer to the question have you ever tries to answer it as if god gave it to you.what would it be?what would it sound like when you heared it?would it make you feel tiggly all over?would you faint and pass out from the shock of accually getting it and never expected it?would you feel warm all over cause it made you feel so good?what is it you want, when you ask the question?.what is in the answer you need to know? you are alive that all that really matter.anything else you put to it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Netme
You don't know what your talking about..

Can you be a little more specific.
Your ad hominem rebuttal leaves much to be desired.
If you can refute the logic, please share your wisdom with us.

I’m virtually certain that the meaning of life is to discover and experience emotion. If you think about it every act we do is focused of experiencing a pleasant emotion or a avoiding an unpleasant one. In the case when we are studying math or physics, for example, we are in that case exploring more the structure of emotion rather than seeking to experience emotion in the raw. This point of view extends from my belief that emotion is the substance of reality and that matter is a construct. The purpose of the material construct being to guide us and aid us in the exploration of emotion. Think the movie Matrix.
If anyone has an example that seems to fly in the face of my points of view I would love to hear about them.

When someone asks the question"What is the meaning of life?" it was a retoricle question.

Originally posted by David Kemp
I’m virtually certain that the meaning of life is to discover and experience emotion. If you think about it every act we do is focused of experiencing a pleasant emotion or a avoiding an unpleasant one. In the case when we are studying math or physics, for example, we are in that case exploring more the structure of emotion rather than seeking to experience emotion in the raw. This point of view extends from my belief that emotion is the substance of reality and that matter is a construct. The purpose of the material construct being to guide us and aid us in the exploration of emotion. Think the movie Matrix.
If anyone has an example that seems to fly in the face of my points of view I would love to hear about them.
Yes you are right Emotion is one of the subjects that are used in the experiment called life. But remember we are an experiment and nothing more.

Last edited: