Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Definite Integral

bincybn

Apr 29, 2012
Dear All,

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x*\left(\left(-ln(x)\right)^{k}\right)*\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx \), where k is an odd no. N >=2.

regards,
Bincy

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Dear All,

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x*\left(\left(-ln(x)\right)^{k}\right)*\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx \), where k is an odd no. N >=2.

regards,
Bincy

Hi bincybn,

Your integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However using Maxima I found that the answer is,

\[\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x((-ln(x))^{k}\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx=(-1)^k\left( \left. \frac{{d}^{k}}{d\,{x}^{k}}\,\beta\left(N,x\right) \right|_{x=2}\right)~~~~\mbox{for }k\in\mathbb{Z^+}\]

\(\beta\) is the Beta function.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Hi bincybn,

Your integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However using Maxima I found that the answer is,

\[\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x((-ln(x))^{k}\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx=(-1)^k\left( \left. \frac{{d}^{k}}{d\,{x}^{k}}\,\beta\left(N,x\right) \right|_{x=2}\right)~~~~\mbox{for }k\in\mathbb{Z^+}\]

\(\beta\) is the Beta function.
Since the integral is set up like the beta function, maybe he was supposed to obtain the solution by induction.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Since the integral is set up like the beta function, maybe he was supposed to obtain the solution by induction.
Hi dwsmith, (Wave)

Yes, maybe. But without knowing the answer it is impossible to use the induction method. Isn't?

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
Gamma function [tex]\Gamma (z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} t^{z-1} dt [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} x((- \ln x )^k) (1-x)^{n-1} dx [/tex]

Let [tex] u = - \ln x \Rightarrow x = e^{-u} \Rightarrow dx = - e^{-u} du [/tex]

[tex]x = 0 \rightarrow u = \infty , x = 1 \rightarrow u = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\infty}^{0} e^{-u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n(-e^{-u}) du [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n du [/tex]

Note that
[tex](1-e^{-u})^n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} \dbinom{n}{i} (-1)^i (e^{-u})^i [/tex]

and [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a} [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n du = \sum_{i=0}^{n} (-1)^i \int_{0}^{\infty} (u^k)(e^{-u(2+i)}) du [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} (-1)^i \int_{0}^{\infty} (u^k)(e^{-u(2+i)}) du =
\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^i\Gamma (k+1)}{2+i}[/tex]

I solved it for n instead of n-1

Last edited:

bincybn

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks everyone.

To Amer: Thanks for ur method. But some mistakes are here and there like.
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a} [/tex]
which is in fact [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a^z} [/tex]

regards,
Bincy