Definite Integral of Definite Integral

In summary: Since the limits are different, the variable in the integral is different. If we replace u by x, we get f(x)= \int_0^x h(t)dt. Now, in the problem you have given, h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^u f(t)dt)du. Find h'(x). Since h(x) is defined by an integral, you must use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find h'(x). Fundamental Theorem of Calculus part 1 states that if F(x)= \int_a^x f(t)dt, then F'(x)= f(x). In the problem you have given, h(x)=
andyrk
[itex]h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du[/itex], then why is [itex]h'(x) = \int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? Shouldn't it be ##
h(x) - h(0)## in the first equation? where ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? But wait, isn't antiderivative of a function without limits on it? Like for [itex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex] we would say, let ##F(x)## be the antiderivative of ##f(x)##, i.e. [itex]F(x) = ∫f(x)dx[/itex]. And then we apply limits on ##F(x)## do evaluate the definite integral. So what does ##h(x)## mean in the beginning? Does it mean that ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex], i.e. [itex]h(x) = ∫(\int_0^uf(t)dt).dx[/itex] and then we apply the limits 0 and x on it? Would [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex] be a separate function and not just some single value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andyrk said:
[itex]h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du[/itex], then why is [itex]h'(x) = \int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? Shouldn't it be ##
h(x) - h(0)## in the first equation? where ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? But wait, isn't antiderivative of a function without limits on it? Like for [itex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex] we would say, let ##F(x)## be the antiderivative of ##f(x)##, i.e. [itex]F(x) = ∫f(x)dx[/itex]. And then we apply limits on ##F(x)## do evaluate the definite integral. So what does ##h(x)## mean in the beginning? Does it mean that ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex], i.e. [itex]h(x) = ∫(\int_0^uf(t)dt).dx[/itex]? Would [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex] be a separate function and not just some single value?
This is an example of applying the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfDefiniteIntegral.aspx

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page to the section called "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part I"

Yes, but I just want to clarify that what does ##g(x)## and ##f(x)## in the link correspond to in this problem?

andyrk said:
Yes, but I just want to clarify that what does ##g(x)## and ##f(x)## in the link correspond to in this problem?

g(x) in Paul's notes corresponds to h(x) in the OP.

f(t) in Paul's notes corresponds to ## \int_0^uf(t)dt## in the OP.

SteamKing said:
g(x) in Paul's notes corresponds to h(x) in the OP.

f(t) in Paul's notes corresponds to ## \int_0^uf(t)dt## in the OP.
What does OP stand for?

(O)riginal (P)ost(er).

SteamKing said:
f(t) in Paul's notes corresponds to ∫u0f(t)dt \int_0^uf(t)dt in the OP.
But the limits in this are from 0 to u not 0 to x. So shouldn't we be equating h'(u) rather than h'(x) to the integrand because the integrand would be a function of u (say g(u)) and not x. So it wouldn't make any sense to say h'(x) = g(u).

Last edited:
andyrk said:
But the limits in this are from 0 to u not 0 to x. So shouldn't we be equating h'(u) rather than h'(x) to the integrand because the integrand would be a function of u (say g(u)) and not x. So it wouldn't make any sense to say h'(x) = g(u).
u is only a dummy variable. The function h(x) is defined as ##h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du##, and you wish to find h'(x) = dh(x) / dx.

SteamKing said:
u is only a dummy variable. The function h(x) is defined as ##h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du##, and you wish to find h'(x) = dh(x) / dx.
Do you mean to say that we can substitute u = x in the inner definite integral then? But wouldn't that mean that u and x are the same whereas they should have been different?

Last edited:
andyrk said:
Do you mean to say that we can substitute u = x in the inner definite integral then? But wouldn't that mean that u and x are the same whereas they should have been different?
No, all I'm saying is that u is used in the inner integral to avoid confusion with the limit x in the outer integral. It's more of a symbol thing.

What's bothering me is that if ##h'(x)=\int_0^uf(t)dt##, RHS is a function of u and LHS is a function of x. So how can they be related?

If [itex]F(x)= \int_a^x f(u)du[/itex] then [itex]F'(x)= f(x)[/itex], not f(u). If [itex]F(x)= \int_0^x f(u)du[/itex] with [itex]f(u)= \int_0^u h(t) dt[/itex], Then [itex]F'(x)= f(x)= \int_0^x h(t)dt[/itex]

Related to Definite Integral of Definite Integral

1. What is the definition of a definite integral of a definite integral?

The definite integral of a definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area between two functions on a given interval. It involves taking the integral of a function, then using that result as the upper or lower limit of another integral.

2. How is a definite integral of a definite integral calculated?

To calculate a definite integral of a definite integral, the first step is to take the integral of the inner function. This result is then used as the upper or lower limit of the outer integral. The integral is then solved using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What is the difference between a definite integral of a definite integral and a double integral?

A definite integral of a definite integral involves taking the integral of a function twice, while a double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. In other words, a definite integral of a definite integral is a special case of a double integral.

4. Why is a definite integral of a definite integral useful?

A definite integral of a definite integral is useful in many applications, such as finding the area between two curves, calculating the volume of a solid with known cross-sections, and solving optimization problems.

5. Can a definite integral of a definite integral be negative?

Yes, a definite integral of a definite integral can be negative. This can occur when the two functions being integrated have opposite signs or when the region between the curves is below the x-axis. In these cases, the area between the curves is considered negative.